Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Unpasteurized juice

ShinyBlackRosesShinyBlackRoses Raw Newbie

Hey there – Does store bought juice have to say if it is pasteurized? Or should I just assume if it doesn

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

In the USA, all store-bought juice has to be pasteurized. The only way to get unpasteurized juice is to juice it yourself or get it fresh at a juice bar that does made-to-order fresh juices.

• Unfortunately that is true. I read a book my Carol Alt where she says she buy OJ in the freezer section of the grocery store that is not pasteurized. Perhaps because it’s frozen????

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I thought those were all pasteurized, too…?

• I cannot say either way about the frozen juices, but yes, in the U.S. juice is pasteurized to be shelved. When in doubt, just go without or ask the company, most are more than happy to let you know their “Sanitation” and processing techniques.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

what juice do you desire? whatever is on the shelf is crap compared to what you can juice yourself.

• ShinyBlackRosesShinyBlackRoses Raw Newbie

While I would love to juice everything fresh, sometimes it is just not practical. I can’t always purchase the large quantities of fruit/veggies it would take to come up with the amount of juice equivalent to what I could buy in the store.

Anyway, I just read that if it is not, there has to be a warning label advising people that the juice is not pasteurized, but it does not have to say if it is.

• All pasteurized juices indicate that their pasteurized. However, basically all juices sold in stores are pasteurized. The only juices that can be sold unpasteurized are orange and grapefruit because they have an acidity level that is considered acceptable by the FDA. Their are only two companies I know of that sell these juices. One is Evolution (evolutionfresh.com) and the other is Trader Joe’s (at least in California, I don’t know about other states). I’ve done lots of research on this topic, so you can trust what I say here.

and frozen juices are pasteurized.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Here in the UK Tescos and Waitrose both sell unpasteurised juice. It’s in the chiller section. I contacted Tescos to double check and yes it is raw. I bought a 1 litre bottle of orange juice for

• I know you can get unpasteurized juice from some of the Whole Foods stores, everything from carrot to beet to orange to green juice. I just bought some actually. They have to slap a scary government warning label on there in order to sell it though

• Pame'laVik'toriaPame'laVik'toria Raw Newbie

I agree that perhaps frozen doesn't need pasterization.