new vitamix heating food?

biscuitbiscuit Raw Newbie

my new vita prep came today to replace the old blender. i experimented with making a pate and then almond and apricot sweets. It found the pate hard to blend because there wasn’t enough there and the sweet got quite hot and I am worried it will heat my food. I am gutted :(

Also does anyone know what jugs are best to use for which foods? I have the dry jug and should that be used for pates and thicker things?

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I don’t have the dry jug, but I thought that it was mainly for grinding flour? I use the regular one for everything else. I have had to start doing larger batches of a few things, too. If your stuff starts to get too warm/hot, you can put the whole thing in the freezer for a little while, then take it out & try again. When I make thick things that use water, I sometimes put in ice for all or part of the water to keep it from getting too warm. Most of the time, it’s still not too hot. I have heard that if you can comfortably put your finger in it, it’s not too hot. I don’t know how accurate that is, but if it’s just warm (not hot), you’re probably okay.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Hi biscuit, i recommend only making things with enough water in your vitamix – i think it heated because you didn’t have enough water. i’ve never had a problem with mine heating things, i can leave it blending a smoothie for a full minute and i hardly notice a temperature difference. the cuisinart food processor is the best tool for making pates. Or, use a coffee grinder to grind the nuts then hand mix them with other ingredients.

• Real thick preparations always tend to heat up in the Vita-Mix. As suggested adding some water will prevent overheating. We use our cuisinart too for pates and such. The Vita-Mix is a great machine for many uses but it does have some limitations.