Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dehydrator noise

my Excalibur is arriving tomorrow and I am having some buyers remorse.I read several comments on various forums about how loud the machine is and now I am concerned that it will be an annoyance having it in the kitchen.That is the only place I have space allotted for it so I hope it isnt too bad.Can anyone tell me what you think about it?

Comments

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Place it on a cloth towel, folded underneath it. This will quiet it down quite a lot. The same method works for Blenders and Food Processors as well.

Lovebows, Chris

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

It’s not that loud really. But then again after years in dancing in clubs next to bass bins, my hearing ain’t what it should be!!

• I was wondering the same thing about the noise. I haven’t purchased a dehydrator yet, but I’ve been doing research for the past few weeks and I believe I would like to get an Excalibur. But I

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Get a 9 tray, if you want to save time, because you can send one morining in the kitchen and make all your food for 2 weeks. I think it is worth it.

It really is not that loud!! It is much quieter than a hairdryer for example. You can’t hear it if you close the door, or have a radio playing in the kitchen. It is just a low hum anyway, the noise really is not prohibitive. If it is you could always take it back, but really, I don’t see there being a problem. They are made for domestic use, they wouldn’t be so popular if they were too loud.

• Thanks Zoe. Your information and advice sounds very sensible. I appreciate it. Cheers!

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I agree with Zoe. The noise doesn’t bother my household at all! It’s really not a big deal.

• So I guess most people get the 9 tray (if they go with Excalibur)...

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Definitely the 9-tray! Just like Zoe said, you can make your food all at once to last for a while, and I like that I can buy whatever fruit is super cheap & dehydrate it all at once, etc. My dehydrator is in the basement because my mom didn’t like the constant hum (I didn’t know about using a towel), but it didn’t bother me. She just doesn’t like ANY noise – she can’t stand having music on at home or in the car, hates hearing the TV from the other room, etc. Most people are fine with it.

• Sounds great (the 9 tray model). And I don’t mind a little bit of humming noise. I think that the other reviews that I read on other sites must have been exaggerating! Thanks for your input. :)

• It’s the fan, it sounds like a normal fan you would have in your house its not unpleasant at all.

• ghostgirl I got the 9 tray with the timer and it came today!!! I love love love it and I can’t wait to get started making things.I have a new baby so I figure if it is noisy I can just use it as white noise when she sleeps. :)

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Oh man, this topic is making me get all excited about getting a dehydrator in September. I can’t wait. SIGH

• jsorensens2jsorensens2 Raw Jr. Superstar

It’s too noisy for me to have in my kitchen, so I have it in the garage, BUT do not let the noise stop you from getting an Excalibur. I love it. If I lived in an apartment I’d put it in a closet with good ventilation. Worst case I’d put it in my kitchen (imagine that!). It’s worth the noise. It’s easy, efficient, and nice looking. Have fun!

• joliepolie – thanks for the response. I’m glad that you are happy with the 9-tray Excalibur. After deliberating for quite some time (and getting great feedback from everyone at goneraw) I think I’m going to get that one too. Rawguru.com seems to have good deals on dehydrators – even less expensive than those offered on the official Excalibur site. Cheers, gg13

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

We run our dehydrators thru the night so we don’t hear it during the day. I have to laugh because I used to have a l’equip dehydrator running, which was pretty darn quiet, and we now have a Cabella’s commercial dehydrator which is REALLY loud compared to other dehydrators…it’s the size of a small refrigerator. It’s the fan which makes the noise though, not vibrations. So running at night is our best bet, or when we’re not home. There was a post on goneraw where people put them in rooms where they needed “heat” because they do give off a little heat. I would rather have more trays, even if some were empty while dehydrating, than not enough trays and have to do double days of dehydrating.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

i have the 4 tray and it’s great. not noisy at all. I don’t use it a TON but my guess is come winter I will be using it a lot more. I do think the 9 tray is louder, but the 4 tray is totally not loud, so how bad could it be? have fun!!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i have a 4 tray. it’s about the noise of a fan on low. no big deal.

• I just plug mine in at night before I go to bed and then in the morning my food is ready. Or if it’s during the day I plug it in the bedroom and close the door so that I don’t hear it.

• We keep it in the basement because it is practically always on to supply our families needs. We live in a quiet rural area. I like peaceful quietness and the sounds of nature. I find my PC fan loud and the dehydrator fan is louder than that. That said I wouldn’t use any other dehydrator. We’ve had it for 10 years and it works great. I suggest to anyone that is sensitive to constant background noise to locate it in a room where they can close the door.