Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

anyone a runner here?

nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

I ran the marathon in nyc ages ago, and have suddenly felt inspired to train for a half marathon, or maybe just a 10K. any other raw foodies here train for a 1/2, and if so, did you find your dietary needs changed?

Comments

• hey nycgrrl

I am training for the chicago marathon this fall. Am doing about 10mile long runs on the weekends with two 3-4 mile runs during the week.

no big changes so far, just, as you know, on the 811rv challenge. and so far, it has been challenging!

• green girlgreen girl Raw Newbie

I am a runner. I have finished a few marathons and many halfs but they were all pre-raw, so I am interested to see how things will go this time. I have been raw for 5 monthes now. I am starting training tomorrow for the Okanagan Marathon in October (Kelowna, British Columbia, CANADA). Some things I have read so far are that you can use dates instead of power gels during long runs and that green smoothies are great post workout meals to get lots of carbs and proteins for muscle repair. I also read somewhere a good replacement for Gatorade, but it slips my mind right now. When I think of it I will get back to you. I know I will have to definitely have to increase my calories, because I can’t lose any weight or I will look like a clothes hanger! Oh…bananas are great pre-workout snacks! Let me know if you find out any other tips and good luck with your training!

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

hey i am in the same boat as green girl—i have done a couple marathons, a few halfs and some tris all while vegan, but not raw. i am raw now and training for a trail ultra-marathon along lake superior in september. the replacement for gatorade that was escaping GG is young coconut water.

• Yeah, I heard about coconut water and was thinking about running with it in my bottles instead of straight water. Is that how it is taken during long runs? Also, I have noticed bottled coconut water in stores lately and wonder how that compares as fresh out of a nut. Has anyone done a comparison, as far as taste and nutrition?

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Here’s a site you can check out http://www.runningraw.com/

• i’ve also read that date-water is good for distance runners

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

Chicago mama: Did you see this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/health/nutrit…;scp=2&sq=gina+kolata&st=nyt&oref=slogin

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I’ve done two pre raw marathons.. one raw one two weeks ago. My running (more like jogging :)) slowed a lot since being raw/detox/master cleanse/giving up coffee but it’s finally starting to rebound a little. I’ve been using Brendan Brazier’s thrive diet as a tool, he talks about using some things like brown rice/quinio and also is ok with yerba mate and green tea. All these things are helping me. I use dates, banana’s and coconut water on long runs. In fact I carried coc. water on my memorial day marathon and ate banana’s and water from aid stations. Ate maybe two dates during run. Was fine fuel wise, had some green tea pre race. I’m actually heading out on a 12 miler now, drinking some yerba mate. It’s been a learning process for sure. But I”m finding if I have some brown rice or brown rice pasta the day or two days before I”m a sunday long raw that is suffice, don’t need it everyday.

I have been thinking of incorporating some quinoa into my diet—can you tell me how much you consume? thank you! I was JUST looking at brendan’s book yesterday at the store—how funny!

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

thank you nycgrrl!

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

I’m training for the Nike Women’s Marathon in October in San Francisco. It will be my first and I eat a high raw diet. I’m a big fan of bananas, dates and coconut water.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

maybe half a cup when I have it? Brendan’s book is awesome!

good luck heart!!!!