Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

RAW BURNING MAN

Hello all Not sure if this is where this topic would go but here I go anyways. I am going to Burning Man this summer with a couple of my good friends and we are going to challenge ourselves to eating at least 90% raw while we are there. We figured it was the way to go since taking dehydrated and fresh fruits and vegtables is the most viable option. Does anyone have ANY and I mean ANY suggestions on what food would be good to take and make ahead. I am fairly new to the raw food lifestyle so I figured I would throw myself in headfirst. If anyone has done camping trips and such Raw any pointers would be most helpful. Thanks so much

Comments

• I think I may have answered some of my own questions by first looking at the camping threads..I should have looked before I posted :)

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

have fun – sounds great! don’t forget to forage. you might find some wild blackberries and such

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

hlipp—I often answer my own posts. it’s funny. I’m glad you found your answers here. Enjoy your trip!

• Check out tonya kay’s website, www.tonyakay.com. She’s a raw foodist, dancer, “gypsy” (nomad, basically), free spirit, etc. etc. etc. She goes to Burning Man every year, I think. Her forums have some info on staying raw during the event, and I believe there are some links as well. You can also contact her through her website.

• derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

Hey - anyone interested in Burning Man this year? I am considering going. It will be a first time.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I just posted an almond recipe that I was working on for traveling. And, just tonight a friend was looking through my Rawvolution cookbook and we talked about some of the foods I took camping. THe apple cookies from that book are delicious, easy and travel well. His onion bread travels well too and is very versatile.

• Hello, as I'm in the UK I have a 'burning' curiosity (excuse pun!) about the burning man, what is it?

• I'm so jealous of you, I want to go to burning man BAD! Debs you can check out Burning Man Project on www.burningman.com. Its basically a week in the desert with thousand of other people living on what they brought, and expressing themselves through art and body etc. Little communities are made and bonds of old burners and new burners are formed. It's really an addicting thing and I've never even gone! Anyways, I just go back from camping and i brought/ate avocados- 1 a day, a few tomatoes and mangoes,grapefruit and bananas... which should last through the week especially mangoes which would ripen nicely in the heat! I also made a trail mix from goji berries and the macadamia nut "feta" from Sarma's Book. Then I brought nori crackers that i dehydrated from Gabriel Cousens books. You would be surprised how much food you don't need. Maybe some nut butter, nuts and dehydrated foods should be A-Ok and taste yummy!

Good Luck and have fun!

• I do multi-night Alchemifire Rituals and find green smoothies, made at home ahead of time and stored in the cooler, make great all-nighter nourishment and hydration aids. I also do "cookies", lightly dehydrated and heavy on nuts and either dates or something else sweet. That fills me up and keeps me going. My favorite is to make up big batches of raw foods and just sort of pass them out, especially gourmet desserts. This has become somewhat of a ritual and others really look forward to it.

The secret is the COOLER and management thereof. Get something like a Coleman Extreme 5-day cooler. Take some 18 inch sections of 2x4s to get the cooler up off the ground to retard coldness loss thru direct contact with the ground. Always keep your cooler covered by a "space blanket" (mylar sheet) or radiant barrier insulation to keep the cold in. Freeze a gallon plastic jug of water with about 1 qt. removed for several days before you go. That will keep the cooler cold for several days. Blocks vs. cubes take longer to melt.

Chia puddings are also fantastic for any sort of camping. There are so many great chia recipes that can be made with water and a few other ingredients. Easy to carry, mix and eat, plus good for stable hydration levels and blood sugar levels.

TAKE CARE and have fun!!