Buckwheat groat calories--about 80/10/10

I posted this thread in another raw forum, but got no real responses. And since there have been some recent posts on buckwheat as well as the 80/10/10 diet (but nothing, that I saw, pertaining to this in particular), I thought I’d post it here, too:

“From the info on nutritiondata.com, it looks raw buckwheat groats get about 80% of their calories from carbs, 10% from protein, and 10% from fat (give or take a few percentage points). Throw in a head of lettuce, and you’ve got your pound of greens without affecting the carb/protein/fat levels much.

For those who are familiar with Doug Graham’s 80/10/10 system, what do you think of all this?

I’m not saying I’m going to adopt this diet, I’m just wondering what your thoughts are.

Thanks”

Comments

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

t the tree of life center, they use sprouted buckwheat and quinoa in moderations. They are the main grains/seeds they use raw as there is no mould in the storage process.

They would be useful foods to include in a diet based on carbs. I sometimes use them in my salads as they both have excellent qualities.

• by all means, include this in 80/10/10 initially….

if you do decide to try the 811, then the 2 most important things are that you keep your fat as an average over the week of 10% maximum and that you get most of your calories from fruit…

greens, in the quantities you have mentioned, is also important

if you want the buckwheat with your salad, then try to wait till your evening meal, once you have fueled your energy needs for the day with fruit

it is not considered an optimum food for the lifestyle, and ultimately as time goes on you would probably lose the taste/need for it….let it happen in your own time….

hope this helps

best to read the book and then give it a little try

:o)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i am not really speaking from an 811 perspective, but i think buckwheat is a very healthy addition to a raw food diet. it is relatively high in protein but lower in fat than most other raw protein sources. i really like the stuff. plus, it’s cheap!