Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Time to feel benefits?

Hi. I’m about a week into eating raw. My ultimate goal is to get over horrible fatigue and brain fog that I’ve been struggling with for a few years. I ate pretty healthy before—a lot of veggies, but they were steamed. So far I haven’t noticed a difference and, in fact, had even less energy yesterday. I’m wondering if most people notice results immediately or it can take a few weeks??

Comments

• Hi…I am fairly new also. I noticed that my energy levels would go up and down in the first week.I seemed to be in a bit of a haze at times. Physically I felt better though. I read somewhere that when starting out you may need extra sleep as your body is cleansing, healing. I think it was in Alissa Cohen’s book. When I was able to I would take a nice long nap and would feel totally refreshed, even if normally I would not need that extra sleep. I never stayed 100% raw. I seemed to always go back to incorporating some vegan cooked foods, mostly beans. In the long run…the first time…I ended up feeling great! I would always eat at least one huge salad a day with a lot of greens and that’s when I felt my best. Hope this helps a little.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

yeah, it takes a while for your body to clean itself out and get used to raw. When I first started I would randomly fall asleep in the middle of the day and feel really tired a lot.

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

yep, same with me. i ate pretty well before going raw and i had one or two really sluggish days in my first 3 weeks. i found that limiting my fat intake and eating more fruit helped get over those tired “detox” times.

• Thanks. That makes me feel much better. I think you may be onto something with the fats, RawK! I’m eating more nuts and other fats than I have in a long, long time. I’ll try to cut some out and see if it helps.

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

cool. make sure to replace those lost calories though, so you don’t suffer any lethargy from calorie deprivation. fruits, fruits and more fruits. ;)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I think it is natural to have some ebbs and flows of energy in the first few weeks. Don’t restrict what you eat, as long as it is raw. If anything, just add MORE of things that are high energy like fresh juices and green smoothies.

RawK, from what I have read fruit can clean you very quickly and make you detox very fast. So actually eating too much right at once can be a lot for people. I find if I eat a balance of greens, fruit, and some fats, I feel great. I also supplement with wheatgrass and fresh juice that give me lots of energy.

Lizzierose—buckwheat is a good substitute for nuts.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Eat tons of fresh greens, fruit, veg. Sleep a lot. You’ll have some good and bad days. It took me four weeks till my energy reached and stayed high. During one week i slept 12 hours a day! But now i’m all set – awake, energy, etc. Be sure to avoid caffeine if you’re having any. Drink tons of water, eat lots of ground flax (2 to 4 Tbsp per day will cleanse your system – fiber).

• That’s really good to know…I am going to add the ground flax. I never made it to 4 weeks…I’m on day 5. Today I feel great. I always went back to incorporating some cooked foods but this time I’m determined to stay at least 90% raw.

• Hi Lizzyrose,

I am pretty new to raw, It is a excellent and eye opening experience. I am going through some detox, sort of like a cold, lots of mucus being expelled. I feel much better, but not really any energy. I am drinking lots of green drinks and lots of fruit and veggies.Not a lot of nuts just yet, I do not have a vitamix yet.