Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Percentage of Raw

Bananna1333Bananna1333 Raw Newbie

Just wondering…What percentage of raw do you think you should be to ‘officially’ call yourself raw vegan…. ...and also wondering, what percentage of raw are you and are you ok with it, or are you striving for higher?

Thanks a bunch Anna

Comments

• It’s all relative. http://youtube.com/watch?v=eCJwHY7vL10

What percentage do I strive for? I’m an all-or-nothing type of girl so I strive for 100% always. Otherwise, I feel unsuccessful for some reason. UGH the guilt

• for me it’s very clear-cut

you are only a raw vegan if you are 100% raw….anything up to that point and you are just a healthy vegan or at 99% raw (by calories) you could be considered an extremely healthy vegan…

percentages is confusing because people don’t talk in the same units….percentage by volume and peercentage by calories are completely different in telling exactly how much raw food someone is eating

there will be benefits all the way up the scale, but 100% raw (absolutely raw), is where the magic happens (so they say ;o) )

and please understand, this isn’t a judgement on those who chose to include a little cooked food…need to be very clear these days :o)

• Bananna1333Bananna1333 Raw Newbie

lol…ya I was thinking you should be all raw, but I am seeing people referring to themselves as raw but then add the disclaimer, that they aren’t completely 100% and all dogmatic about it….ie Ruth Heidrich.

So just wondering how raw people who say they are raw, really are….

I like your link kait, thanks!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I’m 100% raw and I found that the more raw I went the easier and more pleasurable it becomes.

I found that it was only when I was 100% raw that the cooked food cravings stopped.

Also, when I ate cooked food + raw it was easy to put on weight. This does not happen to me anymore, since I went 100% I can eat all the raw fat and fruit I want and not gain a pound.

Also since being 100% everything just shifts a gear – or ten!! I look in the mirror and see positive changes every day. My body has got so flexible it is amazing. Everything is just so lovely ;)) I wouldn’t change the way I eat for anything, not even for a

• I’m mostly high raw and 100% a few days a week. By high raw, I’d say 80%-90%. I don’t consider myself a vegan because I eat raw honey and bee pollen. I sometimes have local eggs in my cooked percentage when I do bake in the fall/winter months.

I have fantastic results when I live this way. In the past 2 1/2 years of eating this way, my severe allergies and asthma have gone away and enabled me to live w/o medication. In the times that I’ve gotten away from raw, my health problems will return, but if I eat all raw for at least 3 days to cleanse and stay high raw after that, I’m fine. I don’t really have food cravings that I can think of anymore either. When I do decide to eat something cooked, it’s not because I don’t think I can live without it, it’s because I think it will offer my body some benefits too.

As for if I’m striving to live with a higher percentage—not really anymore. I did for most of the first 2 years—wishing I could stick with 100% all the time and feeling guilt and disappointment in myself for not being “stronger.” But I decided to embraced what worked for my body and not fret if others lived 100% and I didn’t. I may edge closer to all raw as the years go by. I do find that I’m more and more satisfied with raw foods as time goes on.

—Renee

• Bananna1333Bananna1333 Raw Newbie

Very interesting…it seems to me that I might land exactly where you are NDQ…I have been trying to be all raw for a year straight. ...but like you, I would be open to complete rawness if I found myself naturally swaying that way. I just can’t white-knuckle it anymore.

Zoe, I do know that feeling of amazingness….it’s rather mind-blowing. But I guess I don’t necessarily have it all the time raw. It seems relative to certain ingredients…but I would love to be all raw minus those.

Guess we’ll see. Still not sure if I should call myself a raw vegan or not, lol….but I guess I see that it doesn’t really matter either…that’s hardly the point.

Thanks guys ;)

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

I consider myself high raw. For example, today we celebrated my 6 year olds birthday and my 3 year olds birthday—double party woohoo—and I had a bite of his chocolate cake. Sometimes, but not in the past few weeks, I eat some quinoa. I have cacao sometimes.

Mostly, I eat fruit, greens, smoothies, salads and more fruit, along with a handful of nuts once in a while. But if i occasionally have a taste of my husband’s vegan ravioli at this great organic place on Bleeker once in a while, I don’t beat myself up over it.

• I am about 90% RAW and I am all right with it at this time. Ideally I would love to be 100% but ultimately it is my body that will decide what to do, I am just listening to it!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’m transitioning to all raw (I eat 1 Tbsp non raw a day). It has taken me a year to transition, and I’m still working on it. I am inspired by Zoe’s comments – weight loss, clarity. Others have experienced similar things eating all raw. I believe that cooked food is poison, so I personally hope to eat only raw food the rest of my life.