How Do I Survive?

ANY suggestions or advice will be SO appreciated and eagerly-recieved!!!

I got into the whole raw thing a couple of months ago and was loving life for awhile. I have a history of bulimia, and I noticed some improvements in my eating behavior after going raw (not to mention increased energy and clarity.) Here’s my problem: I am returning to my hometown for the months of July and August. I am from a small beach-surf community that works hard and plays harder, esp. in the summer. My social circle spends a lot of time going out for meals and drinks. The up-side: there are tons of outdoor activities available to me – biking, surfing, swimming, beach running, kayaking, beach outings- the down-side: these outings are more often than not followed up by margaritas and nachos or fried food and beer. In the past, I have always balanced this out with extra running and eating good MOST of the time. But after going raw…I’m learning that this just doesn’t cut it. I went home to visit JUST FOR THE WEEKEND and I started with martinis Saturday afternoon..which led to more vodka, nachos (with cheese!!!), just junk…it is now Tuesday night and I have still not gotten back on track. My cravings for cooked food are THROUGH THE ROOF..my poor eating habits have returned, and I have been bingeing on cooked food and JUNK JUNK JUNK. Is this a preview of the next two months?? How do you all maintain a raw diet while having an active social life? Why do you think one day of drinking and eating poorly set me up for several days of disaster?

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i’ve struggled with this too. i’ve always been the weirdo who has different food. but then i got cause down the vegan fries junk route. can you some food with you? offer to host a few events so you can have some healthy munchies around? i guess i am also wondering if you are drinking just because it’s there or are there other reasons. overworking and overpartying can only last so long. all i know is that i did that and then could barely even have a social life due to extreme pain and sickness (stuck in bed all weekend). so moderate yourself and go to the party and just have club soda or water with lime. people will think it’s a gin and tonic. :-)

• green girlgreen girl Raw Newbie

I am sure I am not the one to reply to this topic as I have a very limited social life. I am the mom of two very young kids and a non-drinker as well, but I thought I would throw out my opinion in case it helps.

I went raw 6 months ago and have never felt better or had any desire to go back to my old ways, however, like I said I have never been in an environment like you are describing. I think you are heading into a very big challenge.

When I do go out I order sparkling mineral water with fresh squeezed juice or just lemon wedges that I squeeze into it. It looks like my old gin and tonics and tastes even better. Food wise, I tend to just not partake in the munchie type foods (nachos etc.). If I am actually hungry or feel the need to eat with friends every menu has a salad. I find letting people know why I am eating the way I do helps them understand my choices. Most of the people I go out with care about me very much and when they see how enthusiastic I am about being raw and about every aspect of my life, they don’t want me to cheat myself from feeling that way. I truly believe being raw is the key to happiness, but like I said you definitely have more temptations in your life than I do in mine.

Good Luck and Take Care!

• green girlgreen girl Raw Newbie

I am sure I am not the one to reply to this topic as I have a very limited social life. I am the mom of two very young kids and a non-drinker as well, but I thought I would throw out my opinion in case it helps.

I went raw 6 months ago and have never felt better or had any desire to go back to my old ways, however, like I said I have never been in an environment like you are describing. I think you are heading into a very big challenge.

When I do go out I order sparkling mineral water with fresh squeezed juice or just lemon wedges that I squeeze into it. It looks like my old gin and tonics and tastes even better. Food wise, I tend to just not partake in the munchie type foods (nachos etc.). If I am actually hungry or feel the need to eat with friends every menu has a salad. I find letting people know why I am eating the way I do helps them understand my choices. Most of the people I go out with care about me very much and when they see how enthusiastic I am about being raw and about every aspect of my life, they don’t want me to cheat myself from feeling that way. I truly believe being raw is the key to happiness, but like I said you definitely have more temptations in your life than I do in mine.

Good Luck and Take Care!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

ejowett – don’t get discouraged!!! even if you slip up, you can get back on track. i avoid going to restaurants with friends, to avoid food temptation. folks come to my place for raw snacks or i go home to eat, then meet up with folks for more socializing. most important, be kind to yourself – it’s a process. take things one day at a time. eating one salad every day or one piece of fruit is an important step. Just relax, don’t stress about food, and you’ll eventually go back to healthy food – most of us at goneraw do! : )

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

I would say that I never avoid social situations regardless of the amount of junk-food involved. Although my friends too love to go out and eat junk, or go to someone’s house and eat junk, or watch a game and eat junk, and so forth, I love to just be with my friends and enjoy their company, and simply not eat what they’re eating. Yes, food is a huge part of social interactions, but the main premise of social events is just that: socializing! So do all of that, if you’re hungry bring your own food, and enjoy your friends!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I think alcohol just makes the candida run rampant in your gut. I too was at least 90% raw for 2+ years!!!! I went on a great vacation—stayed raw on all foods, but had vodka drinks almost every night. By the ride home, I wanted pretzels so bad! Then came the popcorn and worse. Alcohol, in my experience, absolutely feeds those cooked starch cravings. Remember the Mac and Cheese for hangovers in College? I would make sure you are getting a great probiotic—I like Udo’s Choice. You can even take Grapefruit Seed Extract liquid and put it in capsules—protocol is 10 drops 2x/day for 3 days, then 15 drops, 2x/day for 7 days and then 15 drops, 3x/day until the month is done. You can totally control the food by bringing your own or eating before you go out. The drinks—well. I’m older. I’ve learned that i really cannot tolerate more than one vodka/soda w/ extra lime a week and now nothing since my horrible post vacation experience.