groat-love

Hello All! I’ve been on the look-out for oat groats and haven’t had luck finding any. I did however find some buckwheat groats I’ve enjoyed dehydrating for crispies and soaking for breakfast porridge that was deee-licious with fruit! I’m just wondering are they one in the same or very different? Thanks! Leighstar

Comments

• Are you looking for OAT groats? If so, I believe they are very different from buckwheat groats. Oat groats are what steel cut oatmeal looked like before they cut it up into smaller pieces. But someone correct me if I am wrong!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Ok, here’s what I know about groats. Groats are the whole grain, it hasn’t been stripped of it’s bran casing. Oat groats are the whole oat grain and buckwheat groats are the whole buckwheat grain. I bought oats from naturalzing. com. They also have rolled oats which are normally rolled and therefore smashed and tenderized, using steam making them not raw. HOwever, they roll them a different way so that they are still raw. These are really good and easy to use.

• leigh starleigh star Raw Newbie

Are the two interchangeable in recipes? I’m happy to use my buckwheat groats in oat groat recipes if it doesn’t really make a difference.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

They usually are interchangeable. Oat groats are never raw unless purchased from a raw food website – they’re always steamed to keep out worms. So use buckwheat. It depends on the recipe sometimes – if you’re trying to make oatmeal, buckwheat won’t cut it. It’s better for savory things (think patties, pizza crusts, herb and buckwheat crusted veggies, etc). with desserts, i’d be careful – there may be some cases where nuts are a better substitute.