Need some advice on raw food for pets...

Hello everybody! I have two topics that I would love some advice on…

1) What do raw foodists feed their pets (in my case it would be my dog) if they want their pets to be healthy too? 2) What is a good detox program, book, or website I could go too if I want to fast/detox next month. (This would be my first time detoxing/fasting.)

Any help would be AWESOME!!!!

Comments

• I am actually interested in raw pet foods as well. I have two cats and I want them to live long healthy lives but have no clue what raw foods would be appropriate for them.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

loads of info.There have been some great threads about this, why not go to the forums page and do a search for it, here’s a good one for starters: http://goneraw.com/forums/2/topics/286

You have to feed cats some bone, some internal organs – like heart and liver, and some vegetables. I feed my cat 3 raw chicken drumsticks, meat cut off the bone, and the bone smashed up, plues some liver, and some cat vitamins (just in case he misses anything) and about 6 nuggets of a frozen raw dog food I found in a pet shop. The frozen dog food has raw vegetables in it. The idea is to make up what he would eat in the wild. It is essential that they have taurine which is found in the internal organs but this should only make up 10% of the meal. It is also essential that they have the bone.

My cat Tonka is thriving on it. There is some great informtaion out there on the web.

• thanks Zoe, how do you mash up the bone? and how fine do you want it?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

my dogs are vegan. we just can’t bring ourselves to feed them meat when it’s not necessary. so they are not raw but they use a locally made natural dog food. their kidneys are great and they are fairly healthy (one is older and has a heart condition, the other is 8 and in her prime!)

• I try to feed my dog Zeus fruit sometimes like bannanas and raspberries and the rest of the time he gets regular dog food. I just can’t help but feel like I’m feeding him garbage when I feed him that dry dog chow stuff. I didn’t really think about it until I went to this raw food seminar last week and the speaker talked about how our pets get the same ailments we do like arthritis, heart problems, cancer, etc, while animals in the wild don’t and it’s because we feed them the same processed “food” we eat as humans.

(Thanks for the advice Zoe!)

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I can help with the pet food. My dog has eaten raw food for years – frozen patties from the pet store, first BARF then Nature’s Variety. She loved them, so much more than grain-based dry food and she is a very healthy 12 year old with no health problems. There are lots of raw bones that are meant to be good for their teeth but she never had any interest – hence the dragon breath. Our vet strongly disapproves of the diet for safety reasons, mainly our chance of getting sick from handling the food. We chose to continue anyway but recently our dog seemed to lose all appetite for the food. She just wouldn’t eat it and I was heart broken because I couldn’t imagine feeding her cooked food. We found a dry food that is cooked but grain-free and she took to it right away.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I mash up the bone by first cutting the meat off it, then I put it in a plastic bag (sorry environment!) and hammer it to pieces with a hammer! But chicken bones are very soft you could just cut them up with a pair of kitchen scissors.