Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What raw-products should I buy on the internet?

Hi, There are so many good raw-food websites on the internet the offer a variety of raw products. I’ve got 2 questions: 1. What raw-products would you buy from the internet and which products would you go to the store for? 2. What are your most reccommended raw-products websites?

Thanks

Comments

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

i buy raw cashews from rawfood.com and I like his dark agave nectar too. I buy raw almonds from almondsfromcalifornia.com

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i buy raw cashews from nativa naturals and almonds from almondsfromcalifornia.com. raw honey you might get locally directly from growers, if possible. it’d be cheaper. I like hemp seeds and chia seeds, you can get that from any regular website (i found it at a health food store though!). avoid buying the uber expensive nut butters… i only occasionally buy nut butters from my coop food store. tahini – dont get it if you have a high speed blender. sub with unhulled sesame seeds and blend away! buy pine, sunflower, and walnuts at any old grocery store, they’re always raw. dates can be purchased at the store, but for better quality you may be able to get regular ones online from thedatepeople.com i’ve heard they’re top quality.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I buy my nuts only from a farmer, direct(and always specifically ask how they clean the nuts or unhulled nuts). I usually order from them online, but I also buy locally when I can. The reasons I avoid local stores on nuts is because of the problems with rawness. More and more varieties of nuts are being sterilized with heat and chemicals, or are just plain rancid. My local health store’s nuts are highly oxidized and obviously heated, although they claim raw. Go figure.

Anyhow, you can looks up the farms online and often order from them. I like rawfromthefarm dot com, if you want to order online, and there is an almond grower who visits here who sells raw direct. I forget his name, but he’s here a lot. Sounds like a good person and I’m going to try him next.

A local store in my town actually sells organic and sproutable seeds like sesame, so when I crave that, I get it from them rather than order it, because all of the raw stores and sprout stores online charge far, far over what the cost should be for organic, sproutable sesame. Also, I can get a lot of different organic, sproutable legumes from this store, although I rarely eat legumes any more.

If I want organic, whole dulse, I go online to Maine Coast Sea Vegetables and buy directly from them. I get just over a pound for only $22 !! At the locals stores in town, they charge almost $7 for just two ounces, so I never buy locally sold dulse anymore.

I think Gold Mine Naturals sells a few nice raw things, like raw cultures vegetables and olives. I’ve only ordered from them once, though. (I’m going to salt cure my own olives after this Autumn’s harvest!)

Just remember to always ask questions of any place, whether online or local. If the person waffles on an answer, don’t buy, no matter who it is. A good person always will answer your questions. I stopped buying from two very popular raw stores because of this hedging nonsense.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey ori – I used to have to order more but my health food store has caught on to the movement. I have ordered nori and oats from www.alissacohen.com since they seem to be the only raw rolled oats I’ve come across. The shipments from Alissa always come amazingly fast. I’ve ordered from www.sunfoods.com with good results, and www.mountainroseherbs.com which I love for all of the information.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I get most everything close to me on my bike, but when I “un-bake” desserts, I always have on hand unpasturized almonds and walnuts. Also-raw dried coconut from Sunfood Nutrition, raw cacao and raw carob. My vegetarian husband likes Purebars so I also have those on hand for travelling. I get those from amazon.

• I only buy my raw cacao online because I can’t find it locally. It’s from Nativas Naturals, but I get it through Amazon (and get the Super Saver free shipping—nice!) It’s about 1/2 the price of what I first bought from Nature’s First Law.

• oriori

Thanks a lot!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

spirulina is cheaper online. I get suma and sea sphaghetti online too. Shops just don’t sell the wierder stuff

• I’ve been pricing out various raw items online verses- the stores. Many things- like Aritisana Raw Coconut Butter- which I adore- is cheaper to purchase at your healthfood store (house of health in nyc sells its the cheapest) however, ironically Raw carob powder from Sunfood nutrition actually is cheaper to purchase online versus at the store by like 4 bucks. I am not sure their shipping costs however- so perhaps if you were only buyin a couple things online- you’d break even. I agree about not wasting your money on nut butters if you have a high quality blender. I know natural zing has good prices on raw food items.

Zoe- where you do you purchase your sea spaghetti?

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Zoe-is Sea spaghetti the same as Sea Beans? I love those.

• I LOVE Cosmic Kale Crunchies from www.superherosnacks.com it’s a nice snack have around the house or when I go to meetings. They are such a cute little company and they seem like they put lots of energy into their product. I also go to the local farmers market here and get my produce. Do you have a farmers market near you?