Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

im afraid im gunna gain

hey, so i have been 100 % raw for about a month now and im am loving it…. but i am really worried i am going to gain weight. ever sence i went raw i feel like i have been eating so much. i almost feel like i want to eat all the time and im worried about the outcome of feeding my addiction to food., is it ok to eat alot if im all raw?

Comments

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

I ate a whole lot when I first went raw – too much. But eventually it balanced out, and I think yours will as well. Now my quantities are pretty much stable unless I am stressed out and am looking to eat instead of do work (school, etc) – and that has nothing to do with raw. I think yours will balance out though when your body gets used to the new food.

Sometimes when I wanted to end my food cravings when I first went raw, I would eat some raw walnuts or sunflower seeds and it held me for a while. Maybe that is something you could try – you probably already have.

• i hope it will balance out, but will i gain weight if im eating like 2600 calories in all raw food?

• It has been my experience that you won’t, unless you are eating really big portions of nuts more than once a day, and even then I don’t think you would gain that much. I also went through a long phase of raw where I ate every raw food in sight, but I didn’t gain.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Julie—what a picture! Have you been working on that third eye chakra? :D

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey Hannah – don’t worry or stress about how much you are eating. I COULDN’T BELIEVE how much raw food I was consuming at the beginning – it wasn’t unusual for me to go through 4 heads of broccoli in an hour or so; I inhaled that stuff. I went through a lot of emotion, feeling guilty for “eating so much” (even though I was just eating as much as I felt like) and trying to restrict my food, which just made me kinda unhappy.

The point is, I kept eating as much as I felt like in order to stay raw, exercised as much as I could, and I didn’t gain, and continued to lose weight.

Now I’m 7 months raw, and think nothing of downing 8 bananas in a sitting. I don’t eat a lot like that everyday, but I have learned that whenever I feel like eating I will eat until I’m satisfied, whether that means 3 bananas or 12.

Just give yourself what you need; don’t worry about how much you are eating. It balances out after awhile. I’m already feeling like I need less food to be satisfied.

• Hey Hannah – I did gain weight after a few weeks on raw and it scared me because I was 100% (and still am – it’s been 4 months) I also met a very renown guru in the raw field who has gained a lot of weight and says she is still raw – I think exercise is critical no matter what diet you are on and it did make a difference with my raw diet – I also had to watch the nuts – it was recommended that I soak all nuts for at least 12 hours which would help with digestion – I also found myself with hard stools – which was helped by flaxseed or apples.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I read a raw food book, and the author said something like “When I lost 85 pounds in four months, I was eating more food than I have ever eaten in my life.” Victoria Boutenko said that in the beginning, she poured a half cup of oil on her salad, and she lost quite a bit more than 85 pounds :) Everyone is different, though, I guess.

I wonder if the reason some people gain weight with nuts is that most “raw” nuts aren’t really raw? In the nut business, raw just means not roasted. Pecans, macadamias, Brazil nuts, cashews, and almonds are all heated at some point in their processing, unless you buy them specially from specialty raw food websites. Hazelnuts, pine nuts, and walnuts are generally raw when they say so. Soaking activates the enzymes in truly raw nuts.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

if you are eating lots and lots of fruits and veggies and use the nuts to accentuate your meals you will be fine. fruit is a good filler.