Exercise plateau, kind of.

KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

Okay so for the month and a half I have been working out religiously (and dropped 15 pounds… see my “I need to lose stomach fat” topic I posted in May.)

I have kinda reached an exercise plateau. It’s not that I can’t work out for longer, it’s that I’m having trouble keeping my heart rate up. I jog faster than I used to, but my heart rate is lower than my target. But then if I try to speed up, I my legs get tired out too easily. It’s like my heart is stronger than the rest of my body. So I don’t know what to do, any suggestions? I’ve been increasing my pace on intervals during my jogs, which seems to be helping a little, but if anyone has any insight i’d be greatly appreciative.

Comments

• Hi Kelley – - My first thought was intervals, but it looks like you’re already doing that. Another option is to run more hills—this will engage your lower body muscles more and get your heart rate higher. You could also wear 1 pound gloves (like some use for kickboxing). I use these at times for rebounding to get my heart rate up higher.

Also, are you only doing cardio for your exercise or are you also doing weights, yoga, or Pilates for strength. Whenever you exercise for 4-6 weeks, your body adjusts and isn’t as challenged. So you may want to bring another method into the mix for the next 4-6 weeks like alternating cardio and strength work. When you run with recovering muscles, you’ll see a bigger challenge in your cardio too.

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

thanks for the suggestions! i already do strength training. i swim 5000 yards 2 or 3 times a week (it’s my shortcut to get cardio and strength in at once lol). i do some weights when i’m at the gym (i hate exercising indoors) so usually only once or twice a week.

i chose running routes with more hills this week and noticed a big difference, really got my heart pumping! i’m also working on increasing the length of my workouts to keep it challenging. i think im going to look for those gloves you were talking about too.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

you are so inspirational! I don’t know what part of the country/world you’re in but here in Kansas City, Missouri it’s hundred degree weather and my office a/c is broken and I’ve totally lost my motivation to run. I’ve been doing pilates core work outs daily but I only feel challenged when I’m doing them and afterwards don’t feel like I even worked out at all. I don’t have much time to work out so doing more core training isn’t an option. I want to run but I feel like I’m going to die out there!

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Are there any A/C’d gyms you could join without having to make a huge commitment? What I mean is some gyms make you join as a ‘member’ and charge really high sign-up fees and make you sign a long contract, but maybe you could find a gym that would let you pay by the month. I know that running on a TM is not the same as outdoor running, but it might be a temp. solution….

there aren’t any nearby gyms that aren’t outrageous. My options are pretty limited. However, I have been thinking of indoor cardio options but I just need to put something together and test it to see if it would be enough. Thanks for the advice:)

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

i’m fortunate enough to have a free gym membership to my university’s gym (which is pretty outrageous i may add lol). i live in texas so i know all about 100-degree weather. i always either go jogging at 7:30 AM (before it gets hot) or 7:30 PM (when it starts to cool down but early enough so I’m done before dark).

i tried to jog at noon the other day because i woke up late and had plans in the evening that prevented me from going on my run later. i should have just hopped on my bike and gone to the gym but i didn’t feel like it. anyway it was probably like 100 degrees out… i only lasted 20 minutes! i usually go for an hour. so then i felt like a failure and went to the gym anyway. the heat is just so oppressive.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

It’s not exactly the same as running, but I’ve been thinking of getting a rebounder (aka mini-trampoline I believe). I think there are a number of people on GoneRaw that have them and said they are good.
    Below is a link that states the health benefits of using one
    http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/rebounding… They might also be ideal for times when exercising outside isn’t feasible.

KelleyS…..I wouldn’t have lasted 20 minutes. haha so good for you!

When I was in college I definitely utilized the gymn. I work early and already have to get up at six so I’d have to get up at least an hour earlier to get a run in and that would totally stunt my time with my husband in the evening. I already feel like we don’t have enough time together. I’m not ready to jeopardize that yet. ha