poison ivy

worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

my friend has poison ivy pretty bad.

what would you do?


  • omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

    two remedys: ice tea bags work on sunburn and may soothe poison ivy( brew it put it in the fridge and lay the bags on the bumps keep switching out to cold ones) then there is grannys rememdy, kills the itch and probobly everything else in your body too but: bleach. straight up on a cotton ball dabbed on the bumps its amazing we lived isnt it? poor thing poison ivy is the worst!

  • greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

    There is a plant called ‘touch-me-not’ aka Jewelweed that is supposed to help. Interestingly it grows next to poison ivy (hence the name ‘touch-me-not’ :) )
    Below is a link about it and there is a photo – so maybe you could find it and use it on your poison-ivy rash. Good luck! Cheers!


    The Jewel Weed Stem should be crushed and the liquid rubbed into the skin contacted by the Poison Ivy and symptoms will not appear or will be much less troublesome.

    Also.. if you type this into your search engine “wenonah/hydro/jewelwed.htm” (not the web address section) you should find this article quoted: (I tried to paste the website here, but because there is a special character it won’t work).
    “Jewel Weed usually grows near water or in shallow ponds. It is often found in areas where Poison Ivy grows.

    Jewel Weed totally neutralizes the Poison Ivy’s oily antigen called Urushiol, and you will no longer spread it by scratching or rubbing. The Urushiol oil may be carried on the fur of pets, clothing, shoes, toys, tools, or other objects and then transferred to the skin. Approximately 24 to 36 hrs after a sensitized person is exposed to the Urushiol, a blistery, itching rash develops. Usually within 15 minutes of contact, the Urushiol binds to skin proteins. If it is washed off with soap and water before that time, a reaction may be prevented. After the antigen is fixed, however, it cannot be washed off or transferred to other areas. Scratching or oozing blister fluid cannot spread the antigen to other areas of the body or to other persons.
    Jewel Weed is still quite helpful even if you have developed scabs, though you need to work — Rub — it in longer, and it takes time for the blisters to heal.”

  • MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

    GREEN GHOST – That is great information to have and I did not know that. My landlady was positively eat up with poison ivy last year. I have been clearing a back corner of my yard to plant some veggies in but was told there was poison ivy back there so I decided to stop. Thanks for the post.

    WORLEY – I just poked around on the web and there are oils, soaps, ointments, etc, your friend can order to take care of this. I think I might order some to have just in case,

  • waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

    Worley~ Where is your friend located??? I have about an acre of it growing around 5 feet tall between my back yard and the river… Maybe I could figure out how to send him some…

  • greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

    Thank you Meditating. I hope that the info helps! I really need to credit my sister though – she is a hobby botanist (she is the first one to tell me about & show me “touch-me-not”) and her boyfriend is a hobby entomologist. When I go hiking with them it’s like a field trip -or like walking with very inquisitive children… they each stop frequently to look at and identify plants/flowers/and insects. And they get very excited about it.

    At first I used to get a wee bit frustrated because to me hiking was for exercise first (to keep moving) & for enjoying the scenery as an incidental, but I’ve long since changed my outlook and I find their little impromptu ‘lessons’ fun & fascinating.

  • MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

    WATERBABY – You live near a river and in the country? I am most envious.

  • SatchySatchy Raw Newbie

    Scalding hot water! It feels so good on the poison oak and it doesn’t make it itch afterwards. As hot as you can tolerate it and as long as you can bear. I only had it on my leg and after one ‘treatment’ it felt soooo much better…

    I also noticed on my apple cider vinegar bottle that supposedly the stuff is good for poison oak. Is there anything acv can’t do?

    Hope your friend finds some relief. :(

Sign In or Register to comment.