Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The Green in Green Smoothies

So far I’ve only used kale, spinach and green leaf lettuce which I all love. What other greens should I give try in my smoothies?

Comments

• I’ve used romaine and I’ve read celery, parsley, mint, chard and cucumber are also good, although I haven’t tried them yet. I would think mint would really give it some zing! Also, I think I want to try spearmint, also. Now my imagination is really taking off!

Thank you for this thread!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

If any one can get, “miners lettuce” in the early spring it is very good. It has a lemon flavor and very high in vitamin C.

By the way it is a wild plant. It grow profusely in many parts of Oregon and Washington USA.

• FeeFee Raw Master

I think Ive used Lambs lettuce and also a small amount of rocket – dont use watercress unless you want a peppery smoothie! Oh Ive used radish tops before too.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Mmmm, lambs lettuce. It just looks too pretty to blend up.

Mixed greens and collard greens are also good.

Chard. I love chard!

Mint is very bitter (more than dandelion) so put smaller quantities for those.

• Carrot tops, also called carrot greens. I made a smoothie for breakfast the other day with 2 apples,carrot tops and mustard greens. Carrot tops are supposed to be high nutrients, but I couldn’t find a nutritional break down anywhere.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Beet greens! Very nutritious.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Alfalfa and broccoli sprouts are delicious in a fruit smoothie.

• I've been doing green smoothies and use, banana, (sometimes frozen) lots of turnip greens (I actaully find that the smoothies turn out wonderful if I use turnip greens I have frozen. It keeps them fresh longer, too! They don't go bad!!!), sometimes a little ice, water, and a little honey. Strawberries would add a wonderful flavor!!!

I just love the turnip greens!

• Have you tried any of the other types of kale? (Dinosaur, rainbow)

Chard, endive, turnip greens, celery, mustard greens, and collard greens are delicious!Carrot tops & beet greens work too, as well as good old romaine lettuce, arugula, and wheatgrass.

Just remember not to put any starchy root vegetables in your smoothies (pumpkin, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, cabbage, etc.) Fruit+starchy vegetables=fermentation which causes gas.

If you don't have the book "The Green Smoothie Revolution," by Victoria Boutenko, GET IT! She is one of the top experts on green smoothies, and it has a ton of good recipes for green smoothies, soups, and puddings in her book.

She also says not to add anything to your smoothie except greens, fruit and water. Adding nuts, seeds, oils, supplements or other ingredients slow down the assimiliation of smoothies in your digestive tract & may cause irritation & gas. Hopefully ya'll know most of this stuff, just wanted to help you out!

• By the way, I've lost 4 pounds on green smoothies! I drink a quart every day along with a little bit of soaked nuts & other raw stuff, but I love it! I could survive on just GS if I had to. I especially love that you keep the fiber-rich pulp from the fruit intact instead of throwing it away.

I've also noticed though that if you get un-organic frozen strawberries, it leaves a weird flavor...not a sweet one. Organic is the best.