nama shoyu raw alternative?

Hi everyone i’m a raw newbie i just bought a recipe book rawvolution in hopes of making the switch to raw but so many recipes call for nama shoyu and i can’t tolerate soy at all i read there is some sort of mushroom alternative anyone have the recipe for that? i’m dying make those cheese sticks in my new dehydrator this weekend but have no idea how to substitute for that flavor. xox marni

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Sea Salt….

Celery has organic sodium in it, not really that salty though. I too, would like an alternative to soy sauce, miso, and things like braggs. I do not use it because its soy and its bad for you.

I guess you can buy chickpea miso….? Do not know how its made or if its raw….but I would love to make some.

Anyone use chickpea miso?

• i found this info on other raw forums still does anyone have that mushroom one? that really sounds like the right idea… not sure about that celery tomato thing?

these are all not really raw 1) Bragg’s, has been hydrolized 2) Nama Shoyu,is raw but contains wheat :o 3) Tamari which doesn’t have wheat but is cooked :

substitutes 1) many types of sea salts, which is an inorganic type of sodium. 2) Take lemons, celery and tomatoes, chop them up and dehydrate them. After they are nice and dry, grind them in a coffee grinder and then place them in a spice jar with a shaker lid. Now you have a natural sodium source for seasoning. :) 3) use the liquid from NFL’s Moroccan Olives. If a recipe calls for 1 tbsp shoyu, I substitute 2 tbsp olive liquid.

• Yeah, I would do organic olive oil and maybe some ground sea vegetables?

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I was thinking of blending raw dulse with water? anyone like that idea? also the lemon,celery tomato idea is interesting and olive juice? I’ll try that.. wouldn’t miso be soy too shgadwa? I’m really trying for a braggs/nama substitute that still allows me to make the yummy onion bread, one of the only breads I like raw

• Hi Marniyael, I asked the same question a few months ago. Here is the thread. Nama shoyu is the same as tamari I think but I have successfully eliminated tamari from my diet. Agave…well almost. Hope it’s helpful.

Onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and normal pepper are good alternative for taste sensations mixed with avo and flax oil. this has been the thing that turned me off tamari

Zoe

http://www.goneraw.com/forums/2/topics/6497