Freezing raw foods?

Hi everyone. I’m new to raw, was vegan for 12 years. I am a big fan of the Eat Local Movement and get my fruits and veggies from a local farmer every week. Usually I can, freeze or dehydrate. Can I freeze my raw sauces? I have a TON of heirloom tomatoes and I made Ani Phyo’s Marinara Sauce tonight and it was splendid! I’d love to whip up a few batches and freeze them, then just let them defrost in the fridge some chilly night in February. That seems OK to me, but is it? It will lose the “live” aspect won’t it? But I live in Colorado and our seasons are short. Preserving food in the summer is one of the ways to eat locally all year round. Thoughts are welcome!!!! Thank you!!

Comments

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

They will lose some nutrients through oxidizing, but otherwise you are fine.

• I think it’s a fine idea. And though you will lose some nutrients, it’s still going to be better than canning – or going without! We have to make the best of what we have available. Good for you for supporting the local movement in your area. (And I just love Ani’s marinara…it’s worth making a bunch!)

• Thanks everyone! Freezing is way easier than canning anyway! Hooray!

• I have a small farm and I freeze my fruit all the time (incl tomatoes). I dont like the way any of it tastes frozen whole but as juice, sauces or smoothies, as long as the freezer container is closed tightly, I think it tastes great.