What do you all do when winter comes?

Im usually 90% during the summer, with some very long stretches of 100% raw throughout the warmer months. But once winter hits, I feel my body almost goes into shock if I dont have hot foods.

The hot foods I do eat during this time are whole food soups. Like lentil soup, potato and tomato, vegetable, etc. All from scratch.

This winter I really want to try to stick to being as raw as I can, any suggestions?

Comments

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

This is my first year of being raw, so I haven’t actually experienced being raw during winter yet. Of course, it really doesn’t get that cold in Georgia, hehe. I’ve read these suggestions though:

Spicy Foods Adding flavorful “heat” to a dish can really warm it up, temperature-wise.

Gentle Heating If you have a dehydrator, make a dish and place it in there for an hour, just to warm it gently. Or place in an over on the lowest temp with the door cracked for a little while. Or, if you’re making soup, process it a little longer (2-3 minutes) in your blender so it heats up a little or pour it into a pan and heat it gently on the stove, using your finger to stir it. Never let it get too hot to touch.

Herbal Tea This technically isn’t raw, but I still like to enjoy herbal tea every now and then. I don’t drink it for any nutritional value, I just enjoy it for what it is. I just check that the ingredients are all-natural herbs/fruits/roots and that it’s caffeine-free.

• Yeah, I was wondering this too! There are also not quite as many local, organic greens and veggies to be had in the winter… how does that work?

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I freeze my ass off and snuggle up tight! Actually I make few smoothies, but those I do have I make with ingredients that are at room temperature, not from the fridge, so they don’t chill me to the bone.

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

mmm, warm almond chai

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

Ditto what Carmentina said.

• In nature food should be eaten a room temperature (no AC please). Too hot or too cold is not ideal for the body. Keeping these temperatures in balance will help you avoid freezing sensation in the winter and hot in the summer months.

• I have been wondering about this too-I became Raw in Feb 08 and live in sunny Calif. However I live in the Desert so it can get really cold in Nov and Dec (sometimes it snows). I am concerned about missing my warm soups. I think I’m planning on using the Carmentina and Paxton strategy. HAHAHA