Dehydrator/Conventional Oven Temp/Time Conversions?

Greetings,

I was wondering is there’s a mathematical formula we could use for “dehydrating” foods in a conventional oven or outside in the fresh air.

I’m craving flourless vegan flax crackers like a fiend (very much into food combining, so I want a flourless cracker for my nut-based raw dip/spread!). I don’t have the cash for a dehydrator at the moment, and I’m not interested in the packaged ones for different reasons (okay, okay, they’re too expensive compared to being able to whip some up at home).

Can you take a recipe that calls for dehydration at X temperature for X hours, and “dehydrate” the food in a conventional oven at 200 degrees or “warm” for 10-15 minutes with the oven door open? I know Natalia Rose has a rawvioli recipe where she does this, but her temp/time conversion is specific to that recipe.

Or maybe there’s a recipe where you leave the crackers out in the sun like sun tea or something??? I just haven’t been able to find the answer I’m looking for.

I’m open to any suggestions based on real-life experimentation.

Many thanks, K.

Comments

• FeeFee Raw Master

Check your oven – mine has a ‘keep warm’ function or for rising bread I don’t know, but the temperature starts at 35 deg C. This should be equivalent to a dehydrator.

Depenging upon where you live Im sure that dehydrating in the sun would be a viable option – however in North England its not so much of an option.

I know there have been posts about a cheap way to make your own dehydrator which you might be able to do without a large outlay of cash.

Good luck with your search.

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

I use the oven, I preheat it for a while then put my very accurate thermometer in it, leave the door slightly open. When the temp rises above 105F it beeps and I adjust a bit. It is clearly more difficult than with, say, an excalibur ( I have one too). But for someone who travels a lot, it’s worth it and I find the taste really different, it is A LOT tastier than in a conventional dehydrator. The thing is it might be complicated if you’re not there, not too far from the oven. the keep warm function sounds great, I wish every oven had it!..

• Right, a thermometer…I think I’ve heard of those (goofy me). I’m clearly so whacked out from my cracker craving that I can’t think straight.

Thanks so much Fee and Kevyn for knocking some sense back into me!

• i realy must be blond lol how do u do it in the oven for give me please

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

how do you do it? well I preheat the oven for some time, then I let the temperature go down until it s around 100 108 I let the thermometer inside and but the alarm on, at 108, it beeps if it goes above that. I let the door of the oven slightly open and usually it stays around 100, it goes a bit under that number sometimes, when it happens I give it a little boost and it comes back to 108 or something, stays for a while, then when it goes under again I do it again etc… it’s bit more complicated than a dehydrator but it really tastes much much better, I don t have the plastic sheets etc… and it is not THAT complicated.

• i get that now Kevyn lol Darn I must Be a blond lol thanks so much

• any one know about this Dehydrator Ronco 5-Tray Electric Food Dehydrator?? They have it at wall mart for like 35 dallors. i do not have the money for a realy realy good one but if this can work for ever thing then i’ll go for it

• Hi I thought I’d share my experience as I too am wanting a deydrator, before I get one am using my oven, it is electric.It is teeny tiny, about the size of a microwave. I set the dial just below 50 and keep the door open.So far have prepared flax crackers in this way, 4-5hours before I flip ‘em. Hope that helps.

• I have the Ronco kind before I got my Excalibur. It had only a heating element – no fan. One of my co-workers has the fan kind, and his works pretty well. Mine was OK for a few things, but many of the foods molded b/c they did not dry fast enough. I’d stick with the oven, set the temp way low, and prop the door open rather than spend the $35. I do that on occasion now when I have to make a lot of food at once and my 9-tray is full.

• jenoz thanks for that info