Any other endurance athletes out there?

Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hi all!

I am brand spanking new to this site. I’ve been a vegetarian for a long time, and am recently (1 month) a vegan. I picked up an awesome book called “The THRIVE Diet” written by a professional athlete (ultra-marathoner and Iron Man)who is a raw vegan. I am training for my third marathon, and have been eating mostly raw (at least for breakfast and lunch). Just wondering if there are any other athletes out there, and if they could share any knowledge about training and a raw diet.

thanks!

Comments

• Hi Annabelle! I’m an endurance athlete! I completed my first marathon in May and am training for the Big Sur marathon in April. I’ve been meaning to pick that book up for a while. I have been mostly raw (about 75%) since March and I am trying to go 100% raw for this training session to see if it makes a difference on my endurance. (i have a hunch that it will :) hemp seeds are a staple in my diet for protien, also about 4 tsp of maca powder a day in my smoothies, tons of fresh fruit for carbs, coconut water for hydration ( you can put in water bottles and rotate with water on long runs) . I’ve also been meaning to get some chai seeds- they sound amazing! Check out the description on therawfoodworld website- I think its www.rawveganbooks.com. They hold water as you digest them so you stay hydrated longer. Even being 75% raw I can feel a difference on my runs- feeling lighter on my feet is the main difference. I cant wait to see how i perform being 100% raw. Which marathon are you training for and I’m curios about your past ones- how enjoyable the courses were, and of course the food they gave during and after. Nicole (cuyahogariverraw)

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hi Nicole!

The THRIVE book is very very cool. I encountered a problem on my long runs, which I linked to an overconsumption of caffine from the Gels I was using. Coincidently I picked up the Thrive Diet, not really knowing much about it except that it was recommended on a diet site that I belong to (the daily plate). Turns out that Brendan, the author, has recipes for homemade gels and electrolyte drinks. As you mentioned, hemp is great, and coconut water is FULL of electrolytes!

My last long run (18), I took my homemade GU (dates, agave nectar, carob, salt) and instead of gatorade had coconut water. It was nothing short of amazing! As if my body was sayin “well duh you stupid girl! Of course I work better when fueled with natural food than I do when you punp chemicals into me”

I am totally gonna check out Chai seeds!!

I am training for my third Chicago Marathon. Last year was crazy with the heat, but it’s one of the flatest, fastest courses in the world. In terms of food, there isnt much, although the group that I train with (national AIDS marathon) supplies us with bananas, crackers, peanut butter.

after the finish of my first (2005), I had an ice-cold beer and refused to put it down for my professional marathon photo. ha ha!

BTW what is maca powder?

• green girlgreen girl Raw Newbie

Hi guys

I am a marathon runner as well. I have been mostly raw 99% since January and I am running my first raw marathon in October. I have noticed a huge difference in my running. My long runs feel easy and I am never out of breath. I carry dates with me instead of sports gels and drink coconut water (diluted with filtered water) as I run. I find full strength coconut water a little too sweet or too strong in flavor. I am very excited to see how my times improve as a raw runner. I am running a half this weekend just to see how fast I can push myself. I’ll keep you posted. For post run protein I always drink 1 quart of green smoothie. I find I have very few aches and pains and my past IT band problems have been completely absent!

• This is probably more info than you wanted :)

From the rawfoodworld:

“Parts used and where grown: Maca is a hardy perennial plant cultivated high in the Andean Mountains at altitudes between 11,000 to 14,000 feet. It grows as a mat-like stem system. Maca leaves grow close to the ground and the plant produces a small self-fertile off-white flower typical to the mustard family, which it belongs to. The part we are interested in, is the pear-like tuberous root of about 8cm in diameter and of a pale-white color. Although it is a perennial, it is reproduced by seeds which require around 7-9 months for harvesting

constituents: Dried maca weighs in at about 60% carbohydrates (starches and sugars), 9% fiber, and slightly more than 10% protein. It has a higher lipid (fat) content than other root crops (2.2%), of which linoleic acid, palmitic acid, and oleic acid are the primary fatty acids, respectively. Maca is also a rich source of sterols, including sitosterol, campestrol, ergosterol, brassicasterol, and ergostadienol. From a mineral standpoint, maca exceeds both potatoes and carrots in value, and is a good source of iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and iodine.

Historical or traditional use: Maca’s history as a powerful strength and stamina enhancer and libido-fertility herb stretches back well over five hundred years. Maca is a powerful adaptogen, which means it has the ability to balance and stabilize the body’s systems. Maca can raise low blood pressure AND lower high blood pressure. Adaptogens also boost immunity and harmonize the body’s overall vitality. Rather than addressing a specific symptom, adaptogens are used to improve the overall adaptability of the whole system.”

Plus I love the earthy taste! It goes good with peaches and strawberries I think. I am going to try your homeade gu recipe this weekend. it sounds so much better than the caffeine loaded stuff they give you on the course :)

• Annabelle- yeah I heard Chicago was a bear- I ran the Cleveland (Oh) marathon (thats where I live). The beer picture comment reminds me of Ironman UK last year- as my friend crossed the finnish line I was drinking a Guiness (not vegan or raw, saddly enough)

green girl- where is your half? I am doing a half in october here in cleveland to work on my speed as well.

• I’m hoping to train for a half marathon too…we’ll see…but I would love some great recipes for those more sports and running oriented people…what helps in runs tips and other stuff like that. Keep it coming!

I am running the Edmonton, Alberta half marathon on Sunday. It is supposed to be hot so thankfully we start at 7 AM. In October, I am running the Okanagan Marathon in Kelowna, British Columbia. I am actually from Calgary, Alberta, CANADA. That is a long ways from Chicago or Cleveland. It is great how the internet makes the world seem so small!

I plan to get the Thrive book you guys are talking about. It sounds like a great read!

I hope to go to the US to run Boston one day. My plan is to qualify next fall (if I don’t get pregnant with my third child by then).

Happy Training Everyone!

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Hey! I am training to do my first marathon in January. I have never run that far before….is it hard? I guess I’ll work up to it…lol

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hey there..

I was surprised at how un-hard my first marathon was. I never hit ‘the wall’... and sure, there were times when it sucked… but if youre well-trained and have at least 2 long runs (18-23) under your belt (with a month of short runs before the marathon)... you should be fine.

I agree, Green Girl, this internet thing does make the world crazy small! I am old enough to clearly remember the world without it so I know what you mean. I still remember the year when there was all this “dot com” business on commercials… and I was like “what the heck is that?”

Hi superkat92

The marathon is a daunting distance, but as long as you stick to your training schedule you will make it across the finish line.

Running or shuffling across the finish line of a marathon for the first time is an amazing feeling. Not a lot of people have the determination and perseverance it takes to get there. When all the hard work comes together and you reach that goal it is worth crying over!! Every marathon after the first is different and satisfying, but that first one should be cherished right from that first training step to the exhausted last one.

As hard as any marathon can be, it is like having a baby…not long after it is over you forget about the labor and just love the accomplishment!

Good Luck with your first! I am sure you will be bit with the bug as I was and do many more in the future!

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Yeah, ihave planned to start with half marathons. Then work up to the big 26.