heal an underactive thyroid?

Has anybody tried to heal an underactive thyroid with raw foods? I just was told by my doctor that I have no choice but to take a pill every day for the rest of my life. I asked him if there was any alternative and he said, “No.” I was disappointed with this answer and refuse to take pills. I have heard that coconut oil can increase thyroid function. Did you, or anyone you know, increase thyroid function with raw food? I know people have cured cancer with raw foods… why not this? I am frustrated with the Western medical approach. Pills do not solve everything.

Comments

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

May I suggest you go to a Holistic Health Care Professional and see what they say you may have to check out a few. Mine says it is possible. The problem with the SAD diet and any and every drug you take from birth clogs up your glands and keeps them from doing their job. It make take some time but with a raw diet and some help from them you wont ever need the pills. Doctors say no to everything that is not drug or surgery related the were not taught anything else. I thought I was going to die last year and the MD was so sweetly holding my hand pumping me full of drugs that were only helping in leading me to the grave. My prayers to the universe were anwsered by two of the kindest holistic ladies I have ever met. They call me their “mircle patient” and they said I could be were I want to be in maybe 3 years. They have already spun my whole life around in 7 months. It takes time to heal give your body the chance to do it. My thoughts are with you best of luck!!

• After I started eating raw, I realised after three months that I could probably take less of my medicine for an underactive thyroid. I know the symptoms and it felt that my thyroid would be able to work fully on its own again. I knew to cut the medicine down very slowly, and I went to my doctor to ask for a bloodtest. One months later I was off my medicine and the bloodtest 6 weeks later showed I was between the ‘healthy limits’. It all went very well untill a few months later, when I started feeling some of the symptoms again. I went to a kinesiologist/touch for health, and it turned out that since I started again to run, apparantly I put too much pressure on my systems, to which my thyroid responded. (I always had the feeling that my thyriod problems started because I started running/jogging more seriously, which I had to quit when the doctor wanted to find the right medication for me.) It turned out that for some reason, I can only sport very moderately, or else I put too much pressure on my system. A very psychological relation to my thyroid! The moment I stopped running again, the symptoms disappeared. I walk everyday with my dog now and I feel fine. So it is worth trying it on raw food, while looking for a holistic Health Care Professional, who is able to look at the whole of you. Good luck!

• An underactive thyroid can be improved with iodine. Sea vegetables such as dulse and wakame are great for supplying this essential mineral. A very easy method for getting optimal intake would be to purchase a dulse shaker and add 1tsp to your water each day. Coconut oil is also said to improve thyroid function.

I would stay away from iodized table salt for iodine supplementation as it is not very bio-available to the body (not very good for it either). Stick with real sea salt or Himalayan pink salt.

This may not heal you, but you may see some good improvement. Either way you are doing something good for your body. As the others have mentioned, find yourself a good holistic care practitioner. I wish you the best of luck!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I second the seaweed, and also recommend staying away from cruciferous vegetables (e.g. cabbage, broccoli, kale) for a while—they inhibit thyroid function. Yes, and some studies show coconut and/or coconut oil to be effective for speeding up the metabolism, but you probably need sea veggies to give your body the nutrients it needs in the long term.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these “sea vegies” down. I personally cannot stand them. I made the Green Popcorn receipe from this site and it was my first intro to spirlina. It was HORRIBLE athough my 18 month grandaughter will eat everything I give her so it did not go to waste. Sorry I do not mean to offend anyone who likes it but I could never choke down seaweed or even much fish for that matter. So I also bought some dulse flakes so I am assuming they will be bad as well. I guess I could put them in capsules and take like pills. I just cannot get past the taste.

• Cruciferous vegetables do contain goitrogens (thyroid inhibiting compounds) as ambigous stated. There are some other foods such as millet, soybeans, and strawberries that contain goitrogens as well. This [wikipedia link] should help you out.

Blue_Eyes: I love sea veggies! Spirulina is from the sea, but it is technically an algae. If you really dislike the taste, I wouldn’t recommend trying to add it to foods that you like. The best thing I can recommend is drinking it down with water. You shouldn’t really notice it in juice or a smoothie though (as long as you don’t add too much).

Capsulation isn’t really efficient, because you’d need to take a bunch of pills for a good effect. It can be really time consuming and costly to make all of those pills too. The dulse shaker shouldn’t be too hard to handle. Just think of it as little reddish salt flakes. It does have a little bit of that sea flavor, but it shouldn’t be too noticeable.

Thanks james3112 I will keep trying it. Maybe with time I will learn to like it. I do have green smoothies just about everyday I will try hiding it in those. How much is enough for the thyroid? Keeping in mind I do have alot of kale and spinach in my diet. Thanks lilburger for bringing up this subject!!

• The dulse shaker should have a nutrition table on the back that states how much iodine is in a serving. Usually 1tsp gives you the RDA, but many people consider the RDA (150mcg in the U.S.) to be too low. The Japanese eat more than 50 times that amount and are significantly healthier than those from other countries. They also have as much pollution as any other industrialized country! Check out [this] article.

Don’t worry about restricting yourself to a certain amount. At least 1tsp daily is beneficial, but see what works for you. Kale and spinach do contain a significant amount of goitrogens, so you may want to try some greens that aren’t on that list. There are plenty of alternatives for you to choose from. Try some chard or beet greens! They’re in season!

• hey thanks for the tips- since I got my blood checked (about six months ago) I have started in on raw foods. So I’m getting it checked again to see if things improved. I’ve been taking iodine supplements too so hopefully that helps… must get some green sea veggies and cut back on eating kale. I eat so much kale. I got some organic dandelion greens at the grocery this week so I’m excited about that…