Toaster oven as dehydrator

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to be able to do some kind of dehydration using a toaster oven. Its lowest temperature is 150 degrees Fahrenheit but I expect that I can get short-term dehydration by putting food in as the heat dissipates.

Has anyone tried this before? Can I get an hour’s worth of dehydration without too much trouble? It’s for a zucchini-pasta recipe for which dehydration is optional. I eat cooked foods so exposing food to a temperature of 150 degrees Fahrenheit does not rattle me.

Comments

• Ive been wondering the same thing so I look forward to others answers.

Maybe if we left the toaster oven door open?

• Or maybe putting the food in at 150 F for a shorter period of time will produce the same textures and tastes. Does anyone know of some kind of equivalency?

Leaving the toaster oven’s door open is not an option for me because it’s a fire hazard and I live in somebody else’s house.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

If you go to excaliber’s website they have a whole essay about the temperature and how the temperature of the dehydrator is different than the food, etc. But in a hot metal toaster oven, the temperature could go up quicker. The best bet is to get a food thermometer.

But a question, if 150 degrees does not rattle you and you do cooked foods, I am confused on why you would need to be so precise??? I guess I just wonder why people make the choices they do (please do not read this as judging, i’m just scratching my head).