supplement for breast milk and cows milk?

i have a one year old and i have stopped breast feeding (not knowing any better) and i am so freaked out by milk- with the hormones, antibiotics etc i dont know what to give my daughter. any suggestions?

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I sure don’t know the answer, but my best guess would be HEMP MILK... I nursed all 3 of mine and didn’t have a problem in the 70’s with skimmed cow’s milk after they were weened… But now I would probably make them almond, sunflower or hemp milk fresh… But if I had to buy it, then the HEMP would be my choice…

I do know there are young mothers, that are more in tuned to the “right” answer on this site to help you than me… Hey mamamilk or anyone, are you out there listening??? Help out this nice mother…

• thank you for responding, i guess this isnt that interesting…

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

Too bad you can’t buy a nanny goat. My aunt was given goat’s milk as a baby, until she was weaned, because her mother couldn’t nurse her. And I’m sure everyone knows by now that goat’s milk is much better for humans than cow milk, easier to digest. Not just about lactose, but also the size of the molecules, or some such. Also, the colostrum is supposed to be good for the immune system, even though it was meant for baby goats. (I’m not saying that drinking goat milk is the most wonderful thing, just that it is much better than cow milk).

There’s this page: http://www.thegardendiet.com/baby.html

I’m not sure how old the baby one that page is there, though.

Also, this is a bit from Shazzie (beloved British raw food princess): http://shazzie.com/raw/articles/raw_vegan_child…

Good luck to you and your little one. :-)

• thank you very much!!!

• iknikn

Hi, I have two sons and I nursed them until they were 20- 22 months old. After that they drank soy milk. Now they are older, 11 and 7 years old, and don’t drink that much milk. But I agree with waterbaby – try to give them hemp milk. I think it is far better then soy milk. Do not give them cow’s milk!

• I haven’t been online much lately so I just saw this post.

Have you considered trying to re-lactate? It can be done. It takes a bit of work, but those girls were meant to provide nourishment and with the right coaxing, they will become a fertile wealth of nutrition for your child! Look it up online for tips or call your local la leche league! If it seems re-lactating is impossible for you, I believe hemp or almond milk would be fine. The goat milk (raw) would be an interesting replacement but I’d do it only if you can find it from a local source and a hand expressing, kindly farmer. : )

What else are you feeding your little one right now? Just to make sure she’s getting all of the nutrition she needs…please make sure she has plenty of sources of B’s, omegas, calcium, etc… you may need to supplement with some vegan sources of liquid supplements if you’re finding it hard to include it all in her daily diet.

Let me know what she’s eating on a daily basis and I’ll see if I can help.