Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Our Downfall

Hello! As I’ve been trawling around all the various raw related sites I have noticed that the large majority of people fall into the 75% – 85% raw range. I am interested to know what sort of things make up the non raw percentage of people’s food. I am sure it if different for everyone. For me I find it is when I end up in situations that I am not prepared for – a spontaneous meal at someone one’s house or out and about – and I end up eating something like cooked vegetables or rice or sushi. Or if I am travelling on business and am in a foreign land for a few days and do not know where / have the time to source organic produce. Kim

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

My non raw items are generally the dried spices and nutritional yeast I use in recipes… Agave is another but I seldom use it… I consider myself to be 98% and LOVE IT!!!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

My none raw items are spices,nutri.yeast,sometime raisins, I do use honey once in a blue moon.Depending on days or even weeks I could be 98% or 100% raw.There are only 3 restaurants I will go to.I don’t go to friends houses to eat. Although I will go just to visit.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Well last night, for example, I had pie using non raw oat groats as a crust – but I never use oat groats. I try to stay 100% raw now, and over the last few weeks I have been – aside from spices and (necessary) herbal teas (no agave). Olive oil is another culprit, but I don’t use it too much and don’t stress about it. So, olive oil, herbal teas, and spices are my answer.

In the past, it was agave, probably most dates and figs that I was eating, and cashews and almonds in my Larabar/Raw Revolution Bars. But I have eliminated all hybrid (bananas, dates, pineapples) and just about all non-raw foods.

These oat groats don’t feel good inside of me, by the way.

• I am about 99%. I use nutritional yeast in my salad dressing and also sometimes taste a bite of cooked vegan food I might make for someone else, to make sure it’s spiced well or tastes good.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I’m probably 96% raw. I haven’t ruled out going to family or friends houses for a meal (they’re generally good about having a couple raw options) because I don’t think any lifestyle or diet is worth losing relationships over. I sometimes go over and don’t eat but it becomes a big deal (here in the midwest people don’t really get it).

So I’d say my vices are spices, olive oil, some cooked vegan at other peoples houses, and when I have to taste test a dish I’m making for my hubby.

• My non raw items are definitely almonds and cashews, and sometimes I break down and have ezekiel bread.

• my non-raw food is the occasional veggie burrito that has always been my daughter and I’s special treat when we go out to eat. Also, a little bit of agave, or the occasional I can’t bring myself to throw away my daughter’s left-over cooked veggie food that I used to love and I’ll eat the last 2 bites rather than throwing it away. :( I’m trying to just throw it away though. I just have a huge problem with waste, and I really dislike wasting food!

Oh, but the one cooked food that I’m giving myself permission to eat and enjoy is my absolute favorite comfort food: boiled beets. I make a yummy salad of the cooked beets, cut up orange, and beet greens. For years I’ve eaten it when I’m feeling low on iron, especially when I’m losing blood and I need some extra iron. I’ve tried this recipe with raw beets and it isn’t the same. I have a hard time digesting raw beets, and they aren’t juicy nor satisfying. So, once/month I’m going to give myself permission to eat this dish.

Otherwise, I’ve been good lately, but sometimes going out to eat in restaurants where there aren’t that many choices… i can’t stand eating non-organic salad – – yuck! it’s tasteless, tough, and unsatisfying. But we don’t eat out much anyway.

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

I eat raw at home—but it is just “raw” to me. I’ve learned on this forum that things I thought were raw aren’t really (almonds- and probably the other nuts and seeds I get- but I’m not sure, the olive oil I get probably isn’t, agave nectar, raisins) but I have decided not to give those things up for now.

And then there is the whole going out to dinner. It is my family’s favorite thing to do. We go out 1-2 times a week, sometimes more if we have guests in town or if it’s someone’s birthday celebration. When that happens I will eat a cooked vegan meal. Especially if we go out for indian food (my favorite)!

I don’t know what percentage that puts me at. I try not to pay attention to the whole percentage thing and just do what is right for me intuitively from moment to moment.

• I’d also say my 1% or so non-raw (I don’t keep track, don’t care, but it’s minimal) is not a downfall. It’s not like I’m addicted to anything non-raw or feel I can’t live without X or Y. But that’s just me.

• Now that I’m back to being 90 something percent raw, I feel great! I look back time to time and wonder why I gave in to my cravings, knowing they were going to make me feel horrible…Then again, I live with a vegan that loves to cook, so yeah…Temptation is always around me!!

Anyway, my non raw items are loose leaf Herbal Teas, spices, some of the evoo I use, and nutritional yest. Oh yeah..I take plant-based supplements and I enjoy Almonds (sometimes)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I eat these non raw items: agave occasionally, spices, b12 fortified nutri.yeast, raisins occasionally, nuts. I buy raw nuts online, but sometimes use nonraw nuts.

It’s working out GREAT for me! I have no cravings for cooked food EVER – amazing, isn’t it? I can make all the yummy dishes because I use those non raw ingredients. For the past six months, i’ve only eaten raw other than that list. My digestive system is okay with those nonraw items – i can’t do oats unless they’re raw, for example – and i most certainly cannot digest cooked food!

I agree with superfood – the stuff i eat that’s nonraw is not a problem for me. i will eventually eat only nuts that are truly raw, and only raisins i make myself. For now, i’m very happy with the amount of raw i eat. It’s the most amazing tasting food EVER!

Superfood-I totally agree with you there. I’m definitely not addicted to any non raw thing and if there’s any choice I definitely always pick raw. It’s not a downfall it’s just how things are and I don’t mind. Although I will say that if you DO have an addiction or can’t give up something it may be a downfall for you if it’s keeping you from being healthy

• I’d love to say that the non-raw items I have are spices, agave, almonds etc. I’ll be completely honest. If/when I eat cooked it’ll be thai green curry, indian curry, pasta, fries and bread. I was very high raw for a number of months but slipped back and have been trying to get back up there. I’d love to be only indulging in the kinds of things people have mentioned.

• I’m 86.725% raw. I try to stick as closely to that as possible.

Haha mamamilk you’re so funny. I think I’m 96% but I could give you decimals.

If I try a non raw meal I get sick, and I get painful joint problems with in a few hours. Truly for me, 98-100% is best. I to am cutting back on non raw raisins. I dehydrated 9 trays of sliced grapes, made 3 pints. So maybe soon I will be 98.55.smile

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

ha ha ha mamamilk :)

This forum is cracking me up today! You silly people! :)

• Under normal circumstances, I eat steamed/saute’ed vegetables (usually bean varieties, beetroot, squash varieties) for dinner, along with sprouts or salad. Lunch is completely raw. no breakfast, no snacks in between.

Whenever there is free food available at office or outside (I’ve a knack of finding free food , I’ll find something somewhere atleast once in a week :)), I’m still finding it difficult to let it go. But I don’t buy any cooked food.

tggoesraw-I’m sure everyone is going to hit you up on this one but I think it would be wise to eat breakfast even if it’s not raw. It jump starts your metabolism and will help you eat the proper amount of food during the day…..just a tip.

beany-homemade raisins sound AMAZING!

• troublesjustabubble- Thanks for your concern. I get up very late and by the time I’m done with my chores it’s already lunch time for regular folks. So I call it lunch even though it’s actually a brunch kinda thing for me.

• Beany, I would love to make homemade raisins. How long did you leave the raisins in the dehydrator?

It took about 4 days with them cut in half, starting at 135 for 3 hours, then cutting back to 106 until done. Next time will try to cut them in 1/4. Will see. Once, I put them LIGHTLY through the processor. For 9 trays I got 2 quarts of grape juice besides the grapes. Sadly, they were terrible to get off of the sheet. I may try the processor again but will put oil on the sheets.

• Coffee, “emergency” whole grain/flax noodles (I’ll cook’em but add diced tomato, olive oil, minced garlic and chopped basil AFTER I take them off the heat. BTW, I think there is plenty of cold-pressed organic olive oil out there. Also, Whole Foods and most food co-ops sell raw agave nectar (there are at least two brands of raw agave nectar, maybe three). Occasional packet of organic quick oats, but I add hemp seed and organic raisins after it’s sat for a few.

I know cashews are steamed to crack the shell, but I think they’re closer to raw than they are to dry roasted. When you see them side-by-side at TJ’s and stuff, they are so light colored compared to the dry roasted that I don’t think the oils are severely affected by the steaming. So while they might not be completely “raw”, I think they’re pretty close and probably have some residual enzymic capability.

Lots of folks mentioned raisins, too. Many brands are sun-dried and should be raw. What’s the deal? I don’t think a lot of spices are cooked either,unless I don’t know about it. Anyone? Bueller?

If I do have to eat at a restaurant or otherwise cooked, I try to eat the whole grain stuff (vegan, of course),with the most fresh foods in it. If it’s a wrap, I get the whole wheat/spinach tortilla, ask them not to steam the veggies, no yogurt in the dressing, more cabbage and less beans/rice. Veggie tacos (no cheese), no chips, and I load the salsa fresca/pico de gallo and raw onions and cilantro on.

Mr. Mickmaster,,,,The Deal. Gone raw have many levels of raw. Some 50%, some trying to stay at 100%.Then there are those that are eating 100% raw to build up their immune system so their body can fight cancer, autoimmune diseases and other medical problems. To raisins. Sun-Dried does not mean staying at 106 or 112. The sun can get very hot.So that would be questionable for me. In the U.S. we can not grow spices, so we take what we get or don’t use them. Personally, I have not looked into raw or not with them. I will just assume they are not raw for the time being. Unless I grow my own herbs, my thoughts would be the same for them. Although, the herb oils are very sensitive to heat. You see for me, it is a medical deal, but I have to put what I know in it’s place, and not stress. Have fun and enjoy life.

• mamamilk, loved your answer!!! ;) he.he.

I’m not nearly 100%, but really enjoy the green smoothies, salads and fresh fruits that I am gettting used to. I live and work in Ethiopia, and there are some things I haul here from visits home to the US and some things I don’t bother with. Last time I brought a ton of raw nuts, but it took up most of one suitcase. Things that come in glass bottles, I just buy here, and they’re not raw, which include vinegar and olive oil, and then I do buy some nuts and seeds here which aren’t raw. I’m trying to find a grain I can sprout here that is hulled, but so far no luck. I also find myself eating things at other people’s houses that I wouldn’t prepare for myself, but the friendship is worth it and it takes so long traveling on public transport here that you kind of have to eat something. There is also the challenge that everything fresh “has to” be soaked in a weak bleach or whatever solution to kill amoeba, giardia that may be on them due to farms here being too close to houses without any plumbing. The upside of living here is amazing fresh tropical fruit most of the year. I also occasionally succumb to dark german bread when it’s available!!

• Interesting replies!

Olive oil is a big one for me – surely as Mr Mickmaster says, if its cold pressed and organic it should be fine? Generally I try to eat just raw food, but plain olive oil and nuts I do enjoy. I don’t crave any cooked meals though. Most of my friends understand that I eat raw but not really to what level unless they came and spent some days with me. I have found the best way to stop the flack is to give them something interesting raw to eat – so they can see I’m not actually starving myself and depriving myself of tasty food. If I am at someone’s house I know already that they don’t have what I would choose to eat (not organic) so I make the best of the moment and enjoy their company and eat the cooked vegetables!

Beany: why are you not allowed to grow Spices in the states?

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I still eat cooked brown rice, some cooked beans.. ezeikel bread.. oh.. the big thing I have trouble giving up.. non raw peanut butter.. I bought some of David Wolfe’s raw jungle nut butter, and I have raw almond butter, but for some reason junky old peanut butter is my downfall.. and pretzels!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

spinach7 – buy olive oil that’s both cold pressed AND unfiltered. (the filtering process involves heating, so that’s a no-no). Here’s some info for folks on the thread who were asking about what is raw.

This dead food list gives you info on what types of food aren’t really raw

spinach7: Legally, I think we could grow spices, but because of climate, they wont grow here. Maybe in the southern states, but never heard of it. Now I am not talking about herbs.

• i use agave, spices, not 100% sure about my olive oil, some questionable dried fruits and occasional cashews in recipes, and tamari. i also eat 1-2 cooked meals per week out with friends or the boy. typically vegan, always gluten free, try to include as much fresh fruit and veggies in the meal as possible.

i eat what makes me feel good, and try not to get hung up on the percentages or how the food fits into it. if something makes me sick, i try not to eat it, though i am a stress eater and really do struggle sometimes with not gorging on cookies or chips.