Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Our Downfall

2»

Comments

• Wow. a lot of your “sell out” stuff isnt as bad as I thought it was going to be.

On my side, chips and salsa call my name constantly. And there is this Chinese grocery store here that sells vegan gluten free SHRIMP….

I tried it once a couple years ago, and ever since I want it!

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

vegan, gluten-free shrimp, jkd?! I’m confused!

• It must be one of those mock meats

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

my non-raw craving is for Soba Noodles... or Sushi... I rarely have sushi with fish, usually just get the vegetarian version, but the rice (and probably the nori wrapping) is not raw…
    I’m also wondering what vegan gluten-free shrimp is. (???)

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

Oh, like pretend shrimp that you would get at a vegetarian chinese restaurant. I get it now :)

• Sherlock here. Checked out raw agave nectar.

This is from Wilderness Family Naturals: Wilderness Family Naturals’ Raw Agave Nectar is not heated. You will find it very light in color and extremely mild tasting. Absolutely no carmelization or cross linking of sugars and proteins occurs during the process of making the Wilderness Family Naturals Agave nectar because it is kept completely raw.

The process begins with the reception of aguamiel in a large tank fitted with an 80 mesh screen to remove large impurities. Next, a centrifugal pump passes the aguamiel through a series of filters. It is sent to the enzymatic reactor. In this tank, a natural enzyme is added to the sugars to break them down into fructose and dextrose. After this, the fermented aguamiel is passed through another filtering system. This syrup flows through a vacuum evaporator which removes excess moisture (to levels below 24% moisture) and concentrates the syrup into a delicious, totally raw natural sweetener.

Natural Zing: Our organic agave nectar has never been heated or exposed to temperatures higher than normal desert temperatures where cactus grow (120 degrees Farenheit and lower). Other manufacturers heat it up to 160 degrees or better and some can be boiled. Cooking raw agave can give it a darker color and may increase the fructose content. Our raw agave syrup or nectar is about 93% fruit sugar and contains no sucrose, it is in its natural form.

Wholesome Sweeteners: Specially produced at temperatures below 118° F to minimize enzymatic breakdown and deliver a full, natural flavor, Organic Raw Blue Agave Nectar is perfect for everyone, including raw-food enthusiasts! This amber nectar has a distinct and delicious flavor that genuinely enhances foods’ natural sweetness. It is 25% sweeter than sugar, so less is needed. It is certified Organic and GMO-Free, and appropriate for vegan and plant-based diets. It is stable, non-crystallizing and quick dissolving.

Interestingly, Madhava has a “raw” agave nectar but they don’t say anything about the processing or anything regarding the “rawness” of it on their web site. Same with Sun Star Organics’ Organic Agave Syrup, which they claimed is raw but that’s all they said.

• I wonder if filtered olive oil is warmed up to thin it and facilitate the filtration process. If so, that’s disappointing, but maybe it’s not above 118 – maybe it’s just enough to warm it. I will investigate.

• i’m about 80% raw… i have most of the vices listed… non-raw spices, nuts, raisins, agave, balsamic vinegar, stuff like that… i also buy paper thin whole wheat wraps to put salad creations in, and gluten free flax/buckwheat crackers to have with dips when i’m tired of raw veggies… someday i will get a dehydrator so i can make raw wraps and crackers, but i’m a little low on money right now and eating these couple of things is helping me stay mostly raw without feeling deprived, so i feel fine about it. nut butters! i’m in new zealand and some of the things which are easy to find raw in the US are difficult to find here, and i’m just in the first month of going raw after a 15 day master cleanse… i have also had a couple of meals out which included cooked veggie food but i didn’t feel so good afterwards so it fueled my fire to stay raw! it’s really tough for me to say no all the time to friends though, so i need to get more comfy asking for special salad creations at restaurants so i can enjoy the company yet remain true to myself without making anyone feel awkward. also i notice everyone at the restaurant table runs out of energy about 10 minutes after they finish eating, which never happens eating raw! i also taste what i cook for my partner to make sure it tastes good, but not if it includes eggs or cheese, and only enough bites to season it properly (unless i’m feeling really naughty)...

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i think i am like a lot of folks in occasionally giving in to things on the “dead foods” list. for example today i went to a restaurant and they gave me a salad with probably dead olive oil and most likely roasted seeds. i am just not dogmatic enough to worry about it on rare occasions. other than those things, i am all raw.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I’m pretty anal about staying purely raw. I can’t help it really; it just feels the best for me to be 100% all the way. I rarely am in a situation where I cannot find fruit, so that’s what I eat, mostly. I tend to shy away from spices and I don’t really like oils. I just like plain food.

I have made exceptions; like when I go out to eat at a raw vegan restaurant and I know they are using agave, I will sometimes let that slide. However it kinda freaks me out to think of a ‘non-raw product’ inside of me, I imagine (or maybe it’s real) that I’m having a reaction to it, so I don’t go to raw restaurants much anymore either. If I need something “gourmet” I just make it at home, and that way I can make sure what I’m eating is truly raw. I also find it best to call ahead to raw restaurants and inquire about ingredients, which alleviates some of my concern if I know what to get, and what not to get, to make sure it’s totally raw.

Like others have mentioned, people in my life know that I am raw, but few of them know how gung-gho I am about staying purely raw. It’s what I want, so I am pretty serious about it.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Come to think of it, I do seem to have a “thing” for cayenne pepper actually – just had a delicious salad with some sprinkled on top – but I’ve been trying to use whole jalapeno peppers chopped instead as opposed to the spice – it’s the ‘hot’ taste I crave.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

In April, I got on a “cacao-kick” that lasted approximentally 2 weeks. I had to have it all the time and I bought the best “raw” cacao that I could. I just had an unholy craving for chocolate and I swear to you that eating a banana-date-cacao pudding was like orgasming ten times over- that’s how much I was “into” it. For me, it was like crack – made me feeeel sooo good (though super-jittery). It helped with some depression but I also recognized that I was getting seriously “attached” to it…I could see my habitual use of it turning into addictive patterning (which I am highly susceptible to), so I quit. Weirdly, when I quit using it, my energy sky-rocketed and I felt better then I did before I used it and then quit.

It was super-beneficial for me for awhile, but I know I’m better off without it. That’s not to say I won’t indulge in a cacao dessert every once in a blue moon. :-)