Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The most surprising thing...

The other day, I was just musing over a vegetabe that I would have thought “had to” be cooked in order to be edible in my previous life and thought of all the surprises I’ve experienced in going largely raw. I think one of the biggies for me was the great variety of things you can mix in a green smoothie and come out with something that tastes great! So my question to you all is what is the biggest surprise you’ve had since going raw-? (I’d be happy to hear both the positive and negative, like if detox was the biggest shock or something.) Is there something special that sticks out that really knocked some misconceptions on their head? Some amazing food that you can’t beleive how great it tastes?

Comments

• I was amazed by how desserts are made! I would never eat dates, for example, when I was SAD… But now I just mix them with everything… And avocados.. They go with everything.. Here in Brazil people have this “prejudice” that you only eat avocados with sugar and lime, or blended with milk (yuck!)... well.. I think I just love everything about being raw… How my hair is getting better, my skin, I’ve been loosing weight in a healthy way.. Everything!!

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

How amazingly yummy (most) of the recipes are! I still find myself surprised at how something can taste so good mixed with other things completely in their natural state. The reason I say ‘most’ is that not all have worked for me but different strokes for different folks right?

‘Macadamia Cream’ was the first thing that really and I mean really amazed me, its unbelievably delicious. Its from Shazzies ‘Detox Your World’. If anyone’s interested I’ll post it.

• Yes! Please post! Sounds great!

OK, let me go grab the book – Look out on the recipe board.. Mmm, just thinking about it…

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

One thing I noticed after looking at raw food books and recipies is that in a raw meal quite oftern the main course is mainly veg witha dressing and the pudding bit is where the protein and fats are to be found, this is the oppisite way round to alot of SUKD foods, so that supprised me.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Surprise: thinking I was healthy before I went raw – after raw: realizing that I had no idea what health was! I thought I had no health issues to heal from, but I was WRONG! Raw has given me a new standard of health.

Quite surprising is also how you can satisfy any SAD craving with the right combination of flavors.

Ok, weird, I left my computer, went away with carlmartins post as the last post, I was thinking about macadamias and making a sauce with them, came back, wrote post, posted it and the pag refreshed and there was my answer!

Spooky! Glad to help! All this thinking about it, I really want to make some but dont have any macadamias at the moment & am housebound after an op so cant even go & get some, how frustrating!

Thank you have just found the recipe, cool! Hope you recover from the op soon. Can you get someone to bring you some raw food goodies? ;-)

I wish – I actually put a post out to see if I could find anyone else raw around my area, I have heard from one lady which is great, want to find enough to start these potluck things! Chris & Zoe have them but they’re a good 4 hours away :-( A good thing about being off work is I have more time to make raw goodies than ever before yeay!

I found that post and just answered to it then saw it was you!

Yes I saw chris and zoe’s pot luck day too even further for me! but I think if I started going to stuff like that it would mean less time to spend with my BF and my other friends (all not raw) so I just keep my raw “interactions” to the web! good lick with starting / finding a potluck though.

“good lick” I ment “Good luck” but i guess for pot lucks good lick works too! te he

Thanks for the good lick! Very appropriate really! hee hee

Let me know your thoughts on the macadamia cream, I think this is a great idea for a thread!

clr is 1976 your birth year? cus i was born in 1976, just wondering… will try macadamia cream on mon or tues probably will let you know how it went :-)

It is indeed! My initials & my birthyear – I could have come up with a much funkier name!!

I tried to get a good name for the site and springleaf was the most imaginative I got! The photo is of a basil leaf too so maybe “herbleaf” would have beeen better.

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

HI 76 people, best year in the world! :))

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I am most surprised I am still with this, without dietary boredom!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I’ve been surprised at how small our meals have become. My husband used to snort at the size of the dinner I would hand him and almost always has trouble finishing it.

Hey Kevyn, you in the 76 club too? :-)

Chicory – how long have you been with it?

I use this website for motivation alot, its too easy to slip back into ‘the norm’ as most people would see it.. I’m the only person I know :0) that eats like this and the pressure to cave is hard.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

My most surprising thing is~ I researched RAW last Sept. and immediately went raw and have not looked back!!!

I have nearly ONE YEAR RAW, isn’t that amazing as well as surprising???

• I get that sense from you waterbaby. Raw food Lover….. : )

Congrats Waterbaby! And very nearly Happy Raw Birthday too!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yayayay Waterbaby!! That is sooo exciting!

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

hehe I’m only a month and a half in… but every other dietary change I’ve had to make was so much more difficult. This seems so easy in comparison. This website is also a great inspiration to me. clr-1976… the cat in your picture looks just like my naughty marmie!

• Surprise: how much more spiritually aware and awakened I feel eating raw- thought I was already pretty spiritually evolved, but it is even more empowering and beatiful an experince than I had any idea of.

Also surprising: along that same line- how freeing it is to do something so empowering while “bucking the norm” and realizing how little it worries me now to be “different” from the “norm” in other areas of my life if I choose to. Big weight of trying to fit in with the “group” is off my shoulders and so freeing- didn’t even realize just how much it subconsciously affected my thinking until the weight was gone! Hurray! :)

• Thanks everybody for your replies!

Congratualtions Waterbaby!!

I totally agree, chicory, this websight is a great inspiration!

• Congrats Waterbaby!

Big surprise, I don’t actually like traditional chocolate all that much ;-) I stopped eating it for about 3 weeks, and when I went back for a taste I thought ‘It’s alright, but not really that nice’

However, I love avocado & chocolate mush :)