Soaking chicpeas

I get confused about this “sprouting” thing…I have soaked these chicpeas for a week, no sprouts coming out but now i just wanna make the freakin hummus… They have been sitting in water which I have changed a few times for like a week….are they “safe” to blend up with my tahini and serve to my friends on friday nite? Thanks for the help! Love Fire

Comments

• So my question is, did you remove the chickpeas from the water after you soaked them or have they been sitting in water all week?

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi Love Fire…you may find sproutpeople helpful:) also, here are some good pics

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I believe with sprouting you only soak overnight, then drain and rinse about twice a day for a couple days.

If they’ve been sitting submerged for a week, they may have started to ferment, I’m not sure though.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Love Fire-Don’t do it!!! I was soooo sick for more than a week after eating soaked chick peas and since then I’ve never sprouted another legume. Thia doesn’t sound good to me. Some people do tolerate the chickpeas quite well, but try the fabulous bean-free hummus on this site by kandace. Ani Phyo has several as well. They are all delicious and you don’t have to wait long at all.

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

First you soak them, then you drain them, and I’m pretty sure they only take 2-3 days to sprout (maybe even less). If you have had them soaking for a week then most likely they aren’t good anymore—I’m sure you’ll be able to tell by smelling them. (watch out- ew!) lol :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

From, “The Complete Book of Raw Food” Most beans. Soak 8-10 hours pour off water. Sprouting time 3-4 days.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

I actually just threw out a batch of soaked chickpeas, and logged-in to raw to ask people the same question!

I soaked them overnight, and rinsed them for two days. No sprouts… and they smelled bad. How do you prohibit growth of bacteria while sprouting seeds with long sprout times? I really want to include sprouts in my diet… but I worry about harmful molds and bacteria…