Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

coconut butter?

What is the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter? The man at Whole Foods didnt even know what coconut butter was- some of the recipes on here call for coconut butter….. thanks

Comments

• Same thing. We recently had this discussion on one of my posts where I used terminology and confused people, whoops. The coconut butter alters with temperature and often forms a liquid coconut substance at the top of the jar. It’s all the same stuff though. Were you able to buy some? It’s the best!!!

• Now I’m confused. The Artisana coconut butter is not the same as coconut oil, but has a much firmer consistency with oil generally rising to the top. I’ve also made this type of “butter” using coconut flakes and coconut oil in the food processor. What gives?! :)

• SueSue Raw Newbie

I don’t think coconut oil and coconut butter are the same. I have both and the coconut butter definitely has a thicker consistency. I think the butter has coconut meat in it, while the oil does not.

• where do you get the butter?

• SueSue Raw Newbie

rawyummy, I’m not home right now, but I will write a note to myself and check the fridge asap. I know I ordered it on line. Will get back to you on this late tonight or tomorrow.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I think that the coconut butter has the coconut fiber mixed in?

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Yes, they are different (but same in a way).

Coconut oil is JUST the oil extracted from meat.

Coconut butter is the meat AND oil.

Buy them both and you will taste the different. To me, coconut butter is sweet like candy and oil isn’t really sweet but just coconuty.

http://www.premierorganics.org/index.php?option…

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Here’s my two cents’ worth: In the past, the terms coconut oil and coconut butter were used interchangeably. Then Artisana’s Coconut Butter threw a wrench into the whole thing with their version of coconut butter, which is ground from whole coconut, instead of pressed like coconut oil. So now there’s a lot of confusion out there.

I think the term coconut cream should be used for any product ground from whole coconut. Below are the other products on the market similar to Artisana Coconut Butter. I’ve tried the Wilderness Family Naturals and Cocopura brands, but they are not as sweet and yummy and Artisana’s:

1. Wilderness Family Naturals Coconut Spread 2. Cocopura Coconut Creme (new product, not on their website yet, you need to call or e-mail to order) 3. Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate (I’m not sure if this is a good choice, Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center tested their coconut oil energetically, and it rated very low)

You can order Artisana Coconut Butter online at rawvegansource.com, naturalzing.com or sunfood.com. I usually buy mine at the local co-op. Maybe your local co-op can order it for you.

Hope this helps!

• Queen and Achin – great educationals. Thank you! Helped me! I buy the Artisana kind and LOVE it.

• SueSue Raw Newbie

rawyummy, in answer to your question, I got my coconut butter from www.realrawfood.com. The label says”pure whole coconut ground to a smooth butter.”

• Coconut oil is just the oil extracted from the coconut meat. The Artisana Coconut Butter is pureed whole young coconut meat so of course that includes the oil as well. It is a nut butter as in almond butter. The coconut butter is very rich and delicious. I add to smoothies or fresh chopped fruit. I use both coconut oil and coconut butter on a daily basis! I buy both products at Whole Foods.

• realrawfood.com has coconut butter & oil…I’m assuming they’re different?

Check out my new raw recipe blog! http://rawlaland.blogspot.com/ it’s a tad bare at the moment, but will be bursting with recipes/photos in just a few weeks!

• Hello all,

We were so glad to see such enthusiasm about Artisana Coconut Butter.

I would just like to step in and, hopefully, clarify some of the issues.

My name is Matt Gochman. I am one of the founders of Artisana (we make the above mentioned Artisana coconut butter and other raw organic nut butters).

Because there are so many types of, and terminologies for, coconut products, there tends to be some confusion created unintentionally.

Well, here is what Artisana Coconut Butter is: It is whole raw coconut meat (the white chunky bits) that is then dehydrated at low temperature, then pureed into a butter. This is a whole food, nothing addded...nothing taken away (save for the moisture in the fresh coconut meat during the dehydration process).

Now the dehydrated coconut meat, hence the coconut butter, is composed of oil, fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals. No fiber or oil is added or removed.

So many people have told us they love the coconut butter so much that they wanted us to make an Artisana-quality coconut oil. So we decided to make a wonderful, never heated, Extra-Virgin Organic Coconut Oil. This is 100% organic coconut oil - unrefined, unheated, and 100% pure.

Thanks again for your passion and enthusiasm!! We love it!!

Team Artisana