Raw in the dorms

so i am starting school at cal poly in a couple of days and im going to be in the dorms. I really dont want to be living off of only salads all next year does anyone have good ideas for some easy raw meals i could make without any kitchen apliences? Please get back to me i leave so soon!

Comments

• If you can at least get a food processor, that would help a ton! I figured out how to make “Lara Bars” using just a food processor, and those would be easy, quick, and fairly healthy. I’m posting the recipe now if you’re interested.

You could also just eat fresh, whole, fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, as we would naturally in the wild. If you want to sprout your nuts and seeds, just take an old jar with a lid and poke holes in the lid. Instant sprouting container. Just put the nuts in the jar and rinse and strain through the lid every 6-12 hours, depending on what you’re sprouting.

There are also a lot of recipes on this site that don’t require any equipment. Just go to the recipes tab, scroll down to the bottom, and there will be a spot you can un-check all the equipment so it shows only recipes that don’t require any!

• I realize this probably isn’t a ton of help either, I’ll let you know if I think of anything else! I’m new to being raw and I live in a tiny studio apartment with a kitchen smaller than a closet, so I’m always looking for simple things to make too.

• Thank you so much, those Lara bars sound good ill try them out!

• Just posted the recipe!

• Personally, i think you will get bored after a while, especially watching your room mates with pizza etc. Try to make it your own thing, you know? Have a corner, or put a bench at the end of your bed. Put your dehydrator and a personal blender on it next to a basket of fruit/veggies that you will need for a few days. i bought a personal blender from Big Lots for $20. i haven’t used it yet, but plan on using it for work. It looks something like this: http://z.about.com/d/housewares/1/0/O/C/tribest…

It even came with two types of blades- one for grinding and you just twist it on to one of the 4 or 5 cups that came with it and turn it upside down. Then you can put a sippy lid on it and take it with you. Great for on the go before class.

The trick for you would prob be to only buy enough to get by for a few days at a time to reduce clutter and mess. And think of the influence and introduction to healthy eating you will have on passers by. Good luck. Not to stray fr the topic but- Stay in school! :)

• FruginiFrugini Raw Newbie

How diverse/ vegan friendly is your college? If it’s like mine, the dorms are not healthy-happy. I ended up moving to a vegan student cooperative because I was eating alone all the time, and that was very isolating for me. There was, however, a mini-mart style place where I could use my points to buy whole tomatoes, avocados, and chopped fruit. I’m hoping that you will have better luck than I did and find friends with similar taste buds!