Is Rice Milk Raw

CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Since going raw a few weeks ago I have been using rice milk for various things, mainly in smoothies. My roommate recently looked at me funny and told me that wasn’t raw. I had somebody tell me that rice milk was. So who is wrong here?

What are other raw milk options if rice milk is not?

Comments

• I don’t think rice milk is raw. You can make your own nut milks though. Just soak and/or sprout your nuts or seeds. (almond, cashew, pecan, hemp, it is up to you!) Then rinse well and blend them in the blender with filtered water. (1 part nuts to 2 parts filtered water.) I also usually add a couple dates, and a dash of lemon juice and salt, but you can do whatever you want.

You can go out and spend money on a nut milker or whatever they’re called, but I just use pantyhose. (I know, it sounds crazy, but it works really well!) Cut the bottom 8” or so off of a leg of a pair of women’s pantyhose and boil it to kill the bacteria. Stretch the top of it over the mouth of a jar or pitcher (whatever you’re storing your milk in) and pour the mixture in. Squeeze to filter. You’ll have part delicious nut milk and part nut meal that you can use for other recipes. (I really like to use my leftover almond meal for the cinnamon rolls on this site!)

• dodododo Raw Newbie

quiora, i use pantyhose too :), and i use them over empty jars for sprouting too :) yay for old pantyhose! theyre called strumphösen here, just not as sexy is it!

• Quiora, I love your creativity!! Well done!!

xx

• Dodo-good idea on using them for sprouting jars. I never thought of that. I just poked holes in the lids of my jars. It works really well, but the downside now is that I can’t store anything in them when they’re not in use for sprouting!

Thanks strawberry girl! When I started experimenting with raw foods, I was looking at nut milkers and thought they looked pretty much like pantyhose. I like to be frugal, so that’s what I used!

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Hmm, that sucks. I have been using Rice Milk for three weeks in smoothies and cereal, thinking it was raw. Oh well, at least it’s better than real milk.

So, when I make this nut milk, am I just straining the water through the nuts, or are the nuts also part of the milk? I know some rice milk is make through straining, is it the same type of thing?

I may have to use the panty hose thing for sprouting. I have one sprouting jar, but paid too much for it. I have a cheese cloth I use too, but the panty hose sounds like it will stretch well over a jar and stay better.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

caleb- rice milk is very light and sweet. a better substitute might be a banana “milk.” and it requires no straining. just blend a banana with about a cup and a half of water and a few ice cubes. it also makes a great drink on its own.

for nut mylks, you blend everything in the blender (nuts and water, plus a little salt or sweetener or spice if desired) and then you poor everything through the bag (or pantyhose) and squeeze.

you can watch karen knowler do it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhlwtHA6MSg

• Caleb-When you blend the nuts and water, it will create a white milky substance, but there will still be lots of small pieces of nuts in it, so that’s why you have to strain it. I don’t like to use cheesecloth because the holes are too big and won’t stop all the pieces of nuts.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I use a jelly bag bought at a store in the caning section. Sorry guys, after wearing panty hose sense they came out, and stopped using them 5 years ago, I don’t want to even use them for straining.ugh Good idea tho

Caleb- You would use 1 cup nuts or seeds to about 3 cups water. This will depend on your taste. I like to use 1 cup cashews to 1 cup water for cream. Something else has not been mentioned here. Almonds grown in the U.S. are not raw even tho they say raw. You would have to buy the real raw on line. Hazel nuts are good for raw milk.Walnuts for me is a no go. Pecans are just o.k. in flavor, but I understand they are not raw either. You are now getting into the nut dilemma.