spices?

okraokra Raw Newbie

my friend asked me that all spices (include dried herbs) are raw or not, i couldn’t answer it…..

does anyone know are they raw or not or some of are??

i will use spices anyways(i love them so much!) but it’ll be nice if i know this is raw or not.

thank you all raw lovers!

Comments

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

not sure.. but it is easy to grow your own herbs… i grew them on a windowsill when I lived in an apartment! You can dry them by hanging them upsidown in a dark dry place

• okraokra Raw Newbie

thank you, lulushka and chicory!

i just start soaking black peppercorns(maybe a year old?-simply organic) and caraway seeds(just got them yesterday from bulk-frontier). see if they sprouts or not….

i do grow herbs and dry them for future use but haven’t try to grow cumin yet-i love them so much….i should try to grow them!

and i looked frontier’s website, it said: “Much of our grinding is done cryogenically at temperatures below -20 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent the loss of quality which may result from the heat of grinding.”

so i can say that they are raw i think?

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I have dried papaya seeds, ground them up and made pepper from them. I usually say I am 98-99% raw just because of the unknown.

• Some brands are labeling their herbs and spices raw. At least here in Canada. I’m sure as the demand grows they’ll be easier to find. But fresh will always be best in flavor in my opinion.

• I would love to start a little herb garden in my windows. I only have one window that gets direct sunlight (in the afternoon only). I was thinking of setting up an aquarium type of structure to grow them in. Because my house tends to be cold in the winter, I thought that this might create a little greenhouse type of effect. Any thoughts?

• okraokra Raw Newbie

beany- i love the taste of papaya seeds! they are some what feel like a wasabi, i will dry them next time when i ate papaya,yum!

rawnutrition.ca- i haven’t seen that any apices said raw yet….i think, or maybe i’m not careful enough to searching food here in us. i agree fresh is the best! i will cry if something happen to my kaffir lime tree!

karuna- every winter my herbs got killed by small white bugs…. don’t know where they come from. i will try your idea in this winter, it can be my plants gets little weak from my cold room temperature.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

okra – Try mountainroseherbs.com. I think their herbs and spices are raw.

I order from them and their prices are outstanding for bulk.

It says here that they keep their warehouse temps not above 71 degrees. I don’t see anything about what happens to the herbs before they get to the warehouse. But you could email and ask.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/quali…

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

I can vouch for Frontier. I used to work there-the grinders WERE cold! They don’t iraadiate either, so I use them!! And grow them…fresh is best!

• okraokra Raw Newbie

thank you queenfluff and jeshuabrown!

i order stuff from mountainroseherbs.com too!! (do you think there cacao nibs are raw? i should ask them…!) but most of time i just can’t wait, then just go to health food store! and i feel really great about frontier, great things to hear from people knows inside!

okay, now i’ll tell my friend that spices from frontier is raw(most of helth food store carry them so i recommend them) and just simply grow them!

thanks all your help!

• Karuna, that’s actually a really good idea, you can also find “Cold Boxes” for gardening in the winter and fall. As far as the little white bugs Okra, you might try spraying the plants with a light soap and water mixture to keep them off.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

For growing herbs indoors.

Many herbs are from the Mediterranean area. Which means they like it on the dry side. Putting them in a terrarium would cause problem or even death to the plant.Just put them in a pot, don’t add to much fertilizer as they wont be getting much sun, and dont over water. Remember, keep on the dry side. www.gardensalive.com is a good place for organic sprays etc. for indoors and outside.

• okraokra Raw Newbie

harmonylia, beany, thanks the info! i was afraid of any spray on my plants especially herbs, because i gonna eat leaves but i’ll try organic sprays in this winter see how it goes! happy indoor gardening!

on,i just found out “simply organic” is full organic line of frontier, so they are raw spice & herbs company too! and i sent email to mountainroseherbs.com but haven’t hear from them yet, but i believe there quality control so they might be raw…

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

wow! i didn’t know you could eat papaya seeds…. cool!