Forced into raw lifestyle

I didn’t know people did this intentionally. I didn’t know it was called raw either until a vegan friend of mine told me about it. Let me explain. I’ve been sort of forced into this RAW thing because of the economy. I can’t barely afford food let alone fuel to cook it. And here there’s a whole group of people that do it willingly. Hmmmm.

Comments

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

interesting… i find i am spending more money on all the fresh fruits and veg. I don’t even splurge on raw cacao and expensive nuts and butters either!

• Raw.Dawg, There are lots of ways to supplement your diet that don’t cost any money. I picked 2lb of blackberries today in less than a hour. When we were kids my grandad used to take us out hunting for rabbits with his greyhound. It made me sad and confused when I saw the dead rabbits but they tasted good. I read recently about a guy who lives entirely on food that is thrown away. I can’t remember where I read it but he used to go through bins and get hand outs of perfectly good food from supermarkets that had reached it’s best before date. He said he never spent a penny on food. I guess we just have to be inventive these days. Welcome anyway, people here are nice mostly I’m sure they can help you.

i know how you feel raw dawg. I only have $15.00 a week for food, the economy and my job sux! I’m sorry you were forced into it, but after you eat this way for a while it will grow on you because you feel so good!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

CHICORY Wow, I don’t see how you make it in $15 weekly because if I buy organic I spend that much daily. But I know what you mean, the economy is hitting us all.

BTW, I looked on your profile and went to your website, Your fairies are incredible. I can’t get over the detail given how small they are. You are very talented.

thanks meditating! my hubby pitches in over the weekend when he comes home, otherwise I’d be a lot skinnier :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Raw.Dawg – That is hilarious – you didn’t know people did this on purpose :D

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

meditating isnt chicory marvelous????? i am so getting one of her faeries!!!!

rawdawg, check out the dumppster diving…i have done a version of it at one of the fancy markets in encinitas..they put verything in shopping carts out on the loading dock..i get it efore it hits the dumpster! msotly fresh flowers and bannanas, but last week i got plums, red delicious apples, and carrots for the ponys….. this economy sux ass! but you kno we american are so wasteful…a little ingenuity goes a long way!

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I’ve never tried dumpster diving…do you just wander behind a grocery store and go for it? Is anyone gonna come out of the store and call the cops on you or anything?

• I used to steal things. =[ I haven’t had money in so long, I don’t remember the last time I bought anything. But I realized (finally, after getting in trouble for it twice) that it does so much more harm than good, if it even does any good beside feeding me at all. I don’t do it anymore; I’ve sucked up my pride and moved back in with my family, got a job, and I’m going back to school to make something decent of myself. Now, I only have $30 per month to spend on food, assuming nothing goes wrong. I’ve noticed that being Vegan, especially raw, is the most expensive grocery habit. Nasty ramen noodles in packs of fifty are cheaper than most vegetables. =[ I hope to be able to grow my own food soon.

• Omshanti, I would also like to know if you get into trouble for doing that. Because, if not, I know what I’m doing tomorrow!