Sprouts, now what?

RawbogeyRawbogey Raw Newbie

I now have three 12”x12” boxes packed full of alfalfa sprouts. I had no idea how much seed to use. I love sprouts in salads, and plain as well. Does anyone have any ideas on what else you can do with sprouts? I know you really can’t dry them or anything, but I would love to hear some suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

My favorite use for alfalfa sprouts is spread a little raw mayo on a raw cracker or piece of raw bread, top with a huge handful of alfalfa sprouts and tomato slice, can also add sliced cucumber or some thinly sliced red onions, arugula or basil leaves or whatever works for you. They are good on top of hummus on crackers too.

My favorite recipe is inspired by Alissa Cohen’s Almost Tuna, but it also uses some sprouted lentils and mung bean sprouts, so if you have them, or if you can wait a couple of days (they don’t take that long to sprout) here is the recpe:

3 cups alfalfa sprouts 1/2 cup sunflower seeds 1/4 to 1/2 cup sprouted lentils 1/4 to 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts 3 tablespoons almond butter 1 tablespoon kelp or more to taste 1 teaspoon Nama Shoyu (raw) or Braggs (not raw) 1/2 cup onion 2 stalks celery 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste

Put the alfalfa sprouts in a big bowl. In a food processor combie sunflower seeds, almond butter, Nama Shoy or Bragg’s, kelp, mung bean sprouts and lentil sprouts. Blend until smooth. Add in the onion and celery and pulse until minced but still chunky. Pour this mixture over the alfalfa sprouts and mix. If too runny, add more alfalfa sprouts. Add salt to taste—it sometimes requires quite a bit. I also sometimes kick it up a bit more with the kelp, but I like that ocean taste. It doesn’t say how many servings this makes, but I can eat it all! (It’s probably two servings) I like to stuff a tomato with this, or use it as a sandwich filling. I suppose you could also use it as a dip for veggies. HTH.