Kombucha mold problem

Hi, I’m new, but I am not good at intros so I am starting right in with questions.

I was recently given HUGE Kombucha culture. I peeled it apart in to five starts, set aside three and made two batches. After about five days of brewing as expected both of them started to grow mold on the surface.

I am going to try again, but I am asking first for suggestions on how to avoid mold next time. Also can I use the starts that I was using in these moldy batches or do I need to throw them out? The mold is only on the surface where a new culture is forming, not on the culture I put in to start, which sunk to the bottom.

Comments

• cascadia, I had the same problem with my Kombucha, did some online research and found some advice. This one site suggested using white vinegar in a spray bottle to kill the mold on top. I did this with my Kombucha and the mold disappeared. I haven’t tasted the brew yet, but it seems to be growing well, and from all other research, I don’t think you have too much to fear with small amounts of mold that die with vinegar acid. I could be wrong, but I’d fear bacteria (like listeria!) over mold.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. Do you have a warming plate for your Kombucha. I live in Canada and with the climate here, I am thinking that I may need to invest in one.

• “I’d fear bacteria (like listeria!) over mold” Good point. I have never really been overly concerned about mold. It has gone a bit far too just kill it with vinegar so I just pulled out the new cultures which removed all the mold and I think I am going to just let it brew for a while more then go for it. Hopefully it wont kill me, lol.

I don’t have a warming plate, but the temperature is pretty moderate where I live and I don’t think it will be necessary.

• Hi, try this link, I have his book and his advice is always very accurate, the kombu king on this part of the world. http://www.kombu.de/english.htm When I had mold problems I found that I had some onions and potatoes (I was not raw then) sprouting nearby that caused molding. If your culture is molded the best is imho to get a new culture. I tried all the methods to de-mold but the taste of the drink was still not the same as before although I didn’t see any mold on top.

• Thanks for the link Springfairy. The mold did not come back after I removed the newly forming culture that was affected and the brewing process seemed to continue as normal and they both look very healthy. I must admit though I am a bit nervous about trying it. I have never had home brewed Kombucha before and I am honestly a bit afraid of poisoning myself.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I'm curious to hear how this turned out. Perhaps Cascadia actually died from moldy kombucha??

• I put fruit in my kombucha when it was fermenting and the fruit molded but the scoby didn't. Is that ok?