Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

dessert without sugars

this is going to sound like a crazy question. but is there any kind of sweetish dessert i can make without agave, maple syrup or stevia? i am on a candida diet for the next month and have been craving something sweet. i live about an hour and a half from any health food store, so i cant get stevia. but i can get things like coconuts and frozen berries (not organic, but, nothing is around here). i’ve tried making my own concoctions, like raspberrys with cocao and coconut milk. it was very heavy. any tried and true dessert recipes just using the sweetness of berries?

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

can you use bananas?

• nope. the only fruit i can eat are granny smith apples and berries.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I have enjoyed blending blackberries with a tad bit of water and 2 tablespoons of chia seed… Makes a lovely pudding… Blueberries and strawberries would also work..

Hope this helps!!!

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

You might want to try xylitol. It is recommended on the Phase 1 diet for treating candida and diabetes/hypoglycemia at the Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center. It doesn’t appear to raise blood sugar, and the glycemic index is only 7. It tastes very much, and even looks like, sugar. It is a corn-derived product, though, so it’s a good idea to look for non-GMO xylitol. Originally, it was made from birch pulp, and the Tree of Life is currently trying to find a company producing a birch-based xylitol.

Xylitol seems to prevent tooth decay and ear infections as well. The only downside is you cannot consume too much at one sitting, or you may have some digestive problems.

Are you able to eat cherries, grapefruit or pomegranates? These are also considered very low glycemic fruits. :)

• I’ve only heard about being able to eat pinneapple, cherries, grapefruit and pomegranates, but i havent read anything about it yet from a reputable source. I’ll keep my eyes peeled. That would be great to include those in my diet.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

if you can use apples and berries i’d just chop them up and place them in a good blender with a little water… berry apple sauce. i’ve never needed a sweetener for that, and sometimes i make it a green apple sauce. but then again, i don’t like things particularly sweet. worth a try?

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Try “Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine”, Dr. Gabriel Cousens has the diet for fighting candida all laid out. Pomegranate is listed as Phase II, or moderate glycemic, but it will be listed as Phase 1.5, or low glycemic, in his upcoming book (I believe the title will be something like Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine 2) to be released perhaps in the next year or two. His Phase 1 diet doesn’t actually include any sweet fruits at all, only non-sweet fruits like bell peppers, avocadoes, lemons, limes, etc. Pomegranates, berries, cherries and grapefruits are part of the Phase 1.5 diet, when you’ve already recovered from the candida and you’re ready to introduce some sweet fruit back into the diet. However, if you’re working with a naturopath who says Granny Smith apples and berries are okay, I guess you can go ahead and follow his or her recommendations.

Another great source is David Wolfe’s “The Sunfood Diet Success System”.

I would be careful with the pineapples, they’re considered high-glycemic. They also tend to be pretty hybridized (and therefore seedless), so they’re higher in sugar and lower in minerals, and the minerals are important in helping to stabilize blood sugar.

Good luck with your anti-candida program! :)

• thanks achin, thats great info! i’ll stay away from pinneapple then.

pianissima, that sounds good!

• okraokra Raw Newbie

hi, i haven’t tried yet but my friend just made sorbet type of sweet and he really liked it. just freeze any kind of berries you like then blend or juice them with a blank screen. vanilla or mint or even little salt or coconut oil will help feel more sweet. or blend berries with young coconut will be heaven. oh, how about slices granny smith with cinnamon?

berry chia pudding and apple berry sauce sounds yum!

• my current favorite dessert that even my 6 year old likes is chocolate banana pudding. I just blend up 3 bananas, 1 tbs. of raw cacao powder, and then put it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to solidify a bit more.

I like to pour some into a bowl, and add a pile of blueberries (or whatever kind of berries you want).

totally easy, and yummy.

I guess bananas are too sweet for you right now, but I think it would work with avocados too.

• Hey, have you tried dehydrating some pureed berries into a thicker kind of saucey item then mixing with some coconut and freezing it to a nice almost slushy type thing. The berries should be good like that.

• Sorry I’m so late on this topic! You can use yacon syrup and yacon powder for sweeteners. I’m on a candida healing diet too, and these two are the raw ones I use.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Ani Phyo has a good recipe for strawberry parfait on her website. If you used blueberries instead of strawberries, it might be sweet enough to not need a sweetener in the topping.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I second the Yacon syrup! It’s a healing agent to candida and tastes amazing.

• Blend apples with some berries in a food processor or blender (You can add mint leves to it). Mix in some whole berries and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Decorate with edible flowers if you want it to look specially fancy.