Is tea ok?

It’s getting cold so quickly it seems and I’m finding myself wanting to have some tea. Is tea ok? Are most teas naturally dried or did they cook them down? I’ve actually made pepeprmint tea before by pouring boiling water over pepermint and lemon balm leaves and I sweetened it with honey.

Is using boiling water not ok?

Most commercial teas, are they cooked down or dehydrated?

Comments

• I make my own sun teas with fresh herbs from my window garden. In the morning I pick and crush the herbs, add water and set in the window. By the time I get home I have nice warm fresh tea! Don’t think the water can get over 105 by doing this, though I have never taken the temp.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I personally drink tea quite often. It’s not considered raw but it’s very beneficial in it’s own ways. I drink it to warm up as well.

Another suggestion to keep warmer is to dry skin brush. There are plenty of threads on here about it. It get’s your circulation going and I find that I don’t get so cold:)

• I still drink tea (though I am not 100% raw) and have no intention to give it up. I buy Numi brand, an organic brand, though I have no clue if it was cooked down or dehydrated. Its the best Ive tasted though so…

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

I drink tea too. I dont drink anything with caffeine though, even decaf gives me palpatations now, so I avoid green tea for this reason as it has naturally occuring caffeine.

I’ve just discovered yogi ayurvedic teas – anyone tried them? They’re generally a little too spicy for me but the Choco one’s lush, its made from cinnamon, cardamom & crushed cacao shells, amongst other things, and is organic & unbleached.

I go unbleached where I can and always organic.

Pukka tea is nice too, the ‘refresh’ one has peppermint, liquorice and rose and is yummy.

If I make tea at home from plants, lemon balm is a fav and is crazy in my garden, then I wont use boiling water, but I figure the herbs in the tea bags are already dried so I dont worry about it too much for that.

• My lemon balm is insanity too. I’ve cut it back twice this year and it’s keeps on keeping on. It is so good. I muddle the herbs and add water. Sometimes lime too. Do it with mint. I like most of my brews cold though. What I do not like is sucking leaves through a straw lol. I need a smaller straw. I think chocolate mint is amazing btw.

I also make my own teas out of pineapple sage, mints(chocolate mint is my favorite) and lemon balm. My mom made tea out of all kinds of basil with a touch of honey and it was amazing. Cold or hot.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

When it is really cold or I feel a bit under the weather I will have a yogi tea with a little bit of honey in it (yes I know, but I’m not vegan yet but working on it promise ;-)). I have found that it was quite spicey too but now I only put the tea back in there for about 30 secs and that works fine for me, the honey (or other sweetener) helps take the edge off the spice, but you keep the lovely spicey smell.

• I love using lemon balm. Tried adding basil to the lemon balm a few times this summer and found it quite nice. Would love some other recepies for tea using basil! Mint is out of control in my garden so I do use a lot of that.

• I would think that drinking tea is fine as boiling water doesn’t kill anything because water has no enzymes. As for whether tea is cooked down or naturally dried is still up in the air but I think for yourself you have to draw the line somewhere. I have been raw going on a year now and to be really honest with you I used to think cooked food was evil, but now i think its more of what ingredients you use that scare me more for example : sugar, meat, etc. I am sure you get my point. Sun tea is cool but it just isn’t practical for everyone.

Good point ardesmond2. It does have alot to do with the ingredients. I’m not 100% but I’m pretty close and recently I decided that it’s not the worst thing in the world to enjoy a piece of homemade, whole grain bread. It’s actually quite tasty and I know every ingredient in it is natural because I made it!