Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Question about Almond Cheese making

I just finished making almond cheese for the first time; I had researched a few different methods for making it and many other sites suggested using rejuvelac as a starter, which I did…. I didn’t bother taking the skins off cause I don’t care about the almond skins and couldn’t find a good reason why the skins had to be taken off…. I find the resulting almond cheese to be a bit on the smelly side; kinda reminds me of an intense rejuvelac smell plus sour cream smell but it’s a foreign kind of scent to me and the scent is turning me off from really giving it a chance in terms of eating it….. I wonder what other people’s smelt like (is mine supposed to smell like it does)... I know one friend who makes almond cheese says that you are just supposed to take the fluffy layer off the top of the fermenting almonds and compost the rest…. any ideas on almond cheese nutritional value?

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I have been making delicious cheese for 4 years now, and never used rejuvalac, or any fermenting process, just lemons, salt, oil and nuts and / or seeds. I could never make any rejuvalac that smelt or tasted like anything I wanted to eat!!

Click on my profile and have a look at the Cheese with Spring onion recipe, it is very popular there was even a thread about it a few days ago!

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Zoe, how long does that keep in the fridge (in canning jar)? It seems it would keep a long time since it’s just lemon juice and oil added to nuts and seeds.

April, you should try making some from sunflower seeds. My current batch is made from that, lemon juice and Namu Shoyu, it’s pretty good, I enjoy spreading it on Genesis bread (not truly raw, but sprouted). The recipe I used is in RawVolution.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

yes it lasts ages. We usually eat it pretty quickly but it has been known to be OK after 3 weeks!

• ZOE-yes it lasts ages. We usually eat it pretty quickly but it has been known to be OK after 3 weeks!

That is awesome to know! I never know how long to keep my creations for but mine usually get eaten real quick too!

• dodododo Raw Newbie

i always start to feel a bit dodgy about stuff thats been in my fridge for longer than 3 days prepared, but thinking about it why would nuts and lemon juic and oil go off that quick, maybe ive been too hasty in using stuff up in panic concoctions before :)

i tried the cheese with spring onion recipe zoe, very pleasing says i .

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Dodo, I have found that things often taste better when they’ve been left for a few days, or even a week! As long as there’s no mould or funny smell I usually eat it.

• Zoe, Here at the Ann Wigmore Institute we have been making Quinoa Rejevalac, that tastes great and with much success. We also do a Cabbage Rejevalac too. As far as cheese goes we make a Sprouted Seed Cheese and go from there.

• I tried to make fermented sunflower cheese once and it turned out about like April-Anna’s description. Yuck!

Zoe’s cheese, on the other hand, is FAB!!! I have a hard time with things from the Allium family so I use Hing, mustard and turmeric to season it.

I have had recent success with coconut water kefir and all sorts of sauerkraut, but I used Body Ecology starter instead of “regurgilac”.

I was thinking of trying another experiment with culturing to make cheese, but this time using Body Ecology’s Vege Culture as the starter. But I might get sauerkraut pate, so I may stick to Zoe’s cheese and variations of it!!!