Epigenetics

MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

In another thread, BEANY wrote:

I have read. Dont ask where. That 5% of our illness is from heredity and the rest from lifestyle. Hum, will try to find it. May be a D.V.D..

Whatever your source was, I doubt they can qualify their opinion.

This reminded me of the interesting topic of epigenetics I fell into some time ago and thought some of you would find it interesting.

Epigenetics (which means “above the genes”), as far as illness goes, is the study of how environmental exposures change our genetic make-up. The two are closely linked. For example, a gene will express itself negatively if exposed to a particular environmental factor. Others without the gene or the exposure would be fine. Is it the gene or is it the environment? It isn’t as simple as we might think.

PBS has a page on Epigenetics, which includes videos on the topic. The videos include tests done on mice using Bisphenol A (BPA,the zeno-estrogen and endocrine disrupting chemical found in polycarbonate and the plastic bottles we drink from), the results of which I found shocking. This new science provides proof of how what we eat, drink, and are otherwise exposed to alters our bodies.

After you watch the videos, plan on only using glass or stainless steel from here on out.

Comments

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

This is an interesting topic, meditating. There is genetic disease in my family that has caused sudden death in one member, stroke and heart attack in another, and cancer (and ultimately death) in another. But it’s the same gene mutation. I decided to have genetic testing about a year ago and I think about this topic a lot.

Don’t have time to watch the videos now—it’s about dinner time, but I will soon. Thanks for posting.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Meditating this is very interesting. I didnt really understand everything that was said in the video most was over my head. but I think I took from it that we can change the course of our life. we just have to make better choices.

My suppliments that I am taking from my holistic practioner includes some of those mentioned in the video so I feel I am on the right track. My question is how do we know what we are really fighting against? And what is the correct course? I will contiunue with the suppliments and raw it has helped me in ways I could not have imagined. But with still a long way to go yet.

With so many people facing such a wide variety of illnesses. It makes me wonder how you find the right combo for each person. It would seem it would be different all the time. First trying to figure out what is the antaginist in each one to fight.

am I getting this? What am I missing or over thinking?

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

BLUE EYES – I think you are getting it. The real trick is discovering which things are harmful and which are helpful.

Who ever imagined that exposure to a chemical used in a plastic bottle would produce the health consequences we saw in those mice? Yet, the FDA says BPA is safe.

There is the real problem – How do we get studies done on harmful products made by powerful corporations? Wait a minute, the studies have bee done. New question – How do we get our government to quit lying to us about our health despite convincing evidence to the contrary?

I think my blood pressure just spiked.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Easy, We get all raw foodist in the white house and congress LOL what a wonderful dream that is!!!!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Thanks Meditating,now I can stop hunting. It must have been on the net.. Seem like we mainly continue what we are doing, eating right and an ever continuation of learning. Then applying it to our lives. That is if it seems right.

• Interesting topic, this video is just reinforcing some of my beliefs, we cannot trust our governments (or gov. agencies) to tell us what is safe and what isn’t, we cannot rely on science as science usually provides the answers several decades after a product has been introduced, as a result the only reliable “source” to trust remains nature, I find every time as human beings we alter or steer away from nature we are in trouble.

Also, there is so much evidence on chemicals being dangerous and lethal for human health but yet we still depend, use, buy, eat them and then we go trying to find cures or magic pills for incurable diseases…I really do not understand how human brain works!

• Yes, Meditating. I enjoy pondering these sorts of things! My education is in Psychology and Biological Sciences and I especially was intrigued by genetics, statistics, and human development from not only a biological point of view but a psychological one.

I’m with you on the glass and stainless comment! All my kids drink out of tiny glass mason jars and eat out of glass dishes.

Melaverde, yes, I agree, when we move away from nature, we start to get into trouble. Then as a society we spend way too much time trying to sort through what could be dangerous or not. If we chuck it and get back to nature, getting rid of STUFF, we will find more freedom and health!

Blue_Eyes, very funny! raw foodist gov’t…..

Thank you again Meditating for another interesting and thoughtprovoking conversation. I enjoy you very much. : )

Blessings and Peace.

Sometimes when I see videos like that, I think, and science didn’t already know about this? It seems kind of obvious to me that environmental factors can affect genetics.

This wasn’t discussed on the website link that you left, Meditating, but I also think that “environmental factors” have more to do with just food or what one consumes. It seems logical to me that how a child is brought up (i.e. in a state of constant anxiety vs. a state of calm) would have an equal effect on genetics. what do you think?

I also wonder about how a person’s genetics is related to their personality traits. I often meet people who have a disease that in some ways matches their personality. It’s hard to explain, but do you know what I mean? Like a woman who has an issue of over-mothering people (or conversely, one who hasn’t had a mothering experience) who has breast cancer. I guess this is closely related to the post I left above, since a person’s personality is developed based on the kind of childhood experience they had.

• jellibi – this makes perfect sense. This is what energy psychology is all about. According to Bruce Lipton’s book The Biology of Belief, your mind puts your body into one of two states: Love and growth, or fear (fight or flight). Your genes respond to the environment of your body, allowing for cellular function changes and even genetic code changes. For example, living in a state of worry (fear) will cause your body to do all that it can to defend you, including producing auto-immune disorders. Once you let go of the fear, the auto-immune disorder can heal. I have done this!!! It is real!!!

jenoz! That is great to hear that someone understands what I am talking about! My mom has 5 autoimmune disorders (last time I talked to her- we aren’t very close) I don’t have any that I know of- but I have many allergies. And to me it makes sense that allergies are also fear-based.

So, now my question to you is…. How did you let go of your fear?????

Edited to add: Something I definitely should have written in the first place: Congratulations that you healed yourself, jenoz!!!!!!!!! That is so great!!!!