Spiral Vegetable Slicer

I bought this and have only used it once. I was very happy with the zucchini noodles but the machine is extremely difficult to clean. I tried everything and it is still not clean. Says not to put in the dishwasher but I finally got desperate and did … still not clean. Anyone been successful at cleaning this machine?

Comments

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

wish I could help I have a sprilizer, easy to clean. Was thinking of getting a spirooli,too, which I think the one you have is. If it is hard to clean, maybe I should change my plan. Thanks

If you have trouble with bits getting between crevices, I use an old b-b-q skewer.

• I’m hoping that I missed something somewhere b/c I really liked the noodles. I even used an old toothbrush but can’t get all the zucchini bits out of the sharp parts. Sure hope someone has a figured out a way around this.

• That’s so strange, did you wash it right away or did it sit out for a while?? I know I have to clean all my gear previous to sitting down and eating, it’s just easier plus when you’re all done you just get to sit and relax since the cleaning is already done!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

mmm I never thought of that. I have gotten in the habit of cleaning all my utensils right after I use them. It is an easy clean up when done right away, Sure a lot better than those cooking utensils. Another plus for eating raw.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Zucchini and yellow squash tend to leave a slimy, sometimes bubbly film on my Spiralizer. I’m using an old toothbrush to scrub at it, then a toothpick between the teeth. It’s not a perfect system, but it’s better than shredding my cloths and sponges, which is the alternative. Baking soda is effective with the sliminess. Good luck!

I had the teeth aimed the wrong way last night and it carved my zucchini into spiral discs, all connected. We used the long strands like pappardelle (wide fettuccine) noodles and they were awesome! I’m now waiting for my Spirooli to arrive. I can’t wait to try it out! Playing with my food has never been so much fun! ;-)

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

i have the cheap plastic one… got it on ebay for 14.00! I know a lot of people say it doesn’t work, but it makes really nice noodles for me! Love zucchini and like it even better when it looks like skinny little noodles. I used to be a big SAD pasta lover and it defidently satisfies that spaghetti craving

• I use two spiralisers made by Lurch, they’re not the cheapest but are very reliable and make great noodles

• This is a review that I just put on amazon I thought may interest you.

The Cooks Helper spiralizer I got this spiralizer after a long wait and a lot of research. It seems the biggest problem people have with them is that they don’t like the wastage of the food and some seem to have problems using them. I got it out of the box and put in the largest toothed blade and got ready to make some Daikon noodles for my Thai Peanut Noodles dish. It cut so easily that I had to keep checking because I just could feel no resistance on the handle so I was not sure I was doing it right. The noodles came out perfectly and the only part of the veggie that was wasted was a thin silver dollar size piece on the top, which I promptly ate. I thought I was going to have to buy another type of unit to be able to get angle hair size pasta from carrots but with this unit it will not be necessary. I choose this one over the other models mainly because you can order replacement blades for it but am thrilled that it works so well and will take care of all my spiralizing needs. Oh yah, the vender sent it out the day I ordered it. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012F3R2/ref…

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

rosehebrew~ That looks like a cool spiral slicer. Does it come with different cutting blades or only one that is semipermanently attached.

• mmmorgans ~ I did let it sit about 15 minutes before cleaning but I doubt that had much of an effect. I’ll try again without the brief interlude and see if it’s different.

1sweetpea ~ I know what you mean, that’s exactly what I’m dealing with so I’m glad to see that it’s not just me. Takes forever.