Exercises for neck pain

queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

What sort of exercises does anyone do for neck pain? Or anything else besides exercise like an oil in rub in?

I have problems with my neck and jaw (TMJ).

Did anyone get rid of neck pain after going raw?

Comments

• kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

I have similar pain….yoga & MSM help. I’m hoping that eventually the tissues will be so “juicy” that it will go away. TMJ is a stress-related/jaw-clenching issue. I do this unconsciously….hard to break the habit.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Queenfluff, being married to a computer programmer, and also being an occupational therapist, I am wondering if some of you neck pain might be caused by poor ergonomics while at the computer? Just a thought. My husband gets horrible neck pain and TMJ when his work station is not ergonimic. Also, he uses a mouth gard at night to decrease TMJ symptoms when it is really bad.

Yoga would be good, as well as doing exercises that strengthen your core, as neck pain can also be caused by weak core muscles, leading to poor posture.

Don’t know if any of this applies, just wanted to “brainstorm” with you to see if I could help!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Kauaigirl – I take MSM already. Funny though my bf was using mine up and it didn’t last as long (I got the expensive David Wolfe stuff because I heard it was the best quality) Anyhow, I told him he owed me a bottle and he convinced me to let him buy me a cheaper brand. I am disappointed – the David Wolfe stuff had a taste to it. I could taste in in my water. The cheaper brand (NOW) I can’t taste so I am wondering how potent it is. I going back to the David Wolfe brand.

I don’t do yoga and I KNOW that I should. I have no space to do it but I am going to try to get into it. I clench my jaw when I sleep at night. I used to grind my teeth and I fortunatley stopped that. yes, it is super hard to break the habit. I sleep with rollie pillow under my neck which helps too. My regular pillow isn’t really “fluffy” enough – I think I need to get a different kind.

Also, apparently I have misaligned jaw which comes from not having as many teeth on the top as bottome (a result of having braces once and having to have teeth pulled out) – anyhow, this is what a neuromuscular dentist told me once – the treatment he recommended was not only way expensive but would require me to have braces again! Uhmm, NO THANKS! Once was plenty enough torture for me! :)

Spiritedmama – You are very correct. I am a computer programmer. Actually alot of my neck pain started when I became a programmer several years ago. I try really hard to work on my posture – sometimes when I get really into what I am doing – I forget and I get the pain. I am definately looking into the yoga.

Do you know of any postures in particular that would be good? If you have a link, that would be great – I am sort of yoga newbie but I know there all sorts of weird names for the postures. :) Thanks!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

You could get one of those weird looking chairs which put you in the right posture when you sit in the computer.Like On This Website

Personally, I do Bikrams Yoga, I use his CD and heat my bedroom up,using heat makes it safer and more effective than doing it cold.It has contributed a lot to me completely changing my posture. His set is 90 mins long and pure bliss/and hard work but bliss is for afterwards! It uses 27 Hatha Yoga poses, you stretch and compress every muscles and internal organ during the 90 minutes. After trying out many different yogas over the last 10 years his is the most efective I have found. http://www.bikramyoga.com/

Also I have had neck pain, and one thing that helps is Rebirthing Breathwork also called Concious Connected Breathing. You have a few sessions with a rebirther and then you can do it on your own whenever you want. During a session you breathe in a certain way for an hour and all this old crap is just let go of. Old emotions, old aches and pains, everything. It leaves me feeling totally blissed out and my body completely relaxed.

Another thing I did was to have Alenander Technique lessons, this was really good too. They help you to be in an effortlessly good posture, relaxed and with no straining. It really helped me to change my posture. Changed the way I thought about myself, and helped with relaxation.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Hi Zoe!

Actually my bf has one of those weird looking chairs. I have a desktop and a laptop computer at home and I mostly use the laptop because it is tons faster. I sit on the couch on use it and that is probably where my posture goes awry – I end up like a blobbie in all sort of positions on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table. I might get a sort of tabley thing that can sit in front of my couch so I am not tempted to sit with the laptop on my lap (like I am doing now!) so I have to sit a certain way.

Normally if I am working at a job site – I don’t have too much of a problem since the you can only sit in so many positions on the chairs they have! I am at home most of the time now.

Thanks for the advice on the birkham yoga. I have heard about it before – right now, I can’t ‘heat up’ my rooms. I would love to try this some day. I like the advice on the Breathing too. I am going to try that. I am pretty sure I don’t do enough relaxed breathing. Also the Alenander technique lessons sounds great!