Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The worst raw-food confrontation I've ever had

2»

Comments

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Moth,

OMG I cannot believe that happened to you. It is so over the top. I think you handled it very well.

I agree with Lady Raven and jellibi. I wouldn’t even respond to them by joining their argument about what I eat, I’d address the fact that they were commenting on it. I’d say something like, ‘Why do you care what I eat?’ or ‘I realize you are trying to be helpful, but I feel attacked by your comments and I’d like you to stop.’ and it they didn’t stop, I’d leave. And speak to management, as Lady Raven suggests.

What *ssholes.

• You know what’s strange? I am a nurse and the ONLY vegetarian I work with is THE person to give me crap on being raw at work. I really think that people make a big deal when they in some strange way want to make themselves feel that they are doing the right thing themselves. Too bad you are not in seattle; we could hook you up with a job at the co-op here where my boyfriend’s co-workers don’t even care that he is on a raw paleo (that would be raw meat…talk about a society stigma;)

• Hey sid! I am in Seattle too! Where is this co-op you speak of? ;)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Now that I read jellibi’s post, I agree – I don’t have to defend myself or my way of life to anyone. :) Thanks for the insight, jellibi :)

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

what a beautiful analogy jellibi!
    I know that you are a young woman, but you sure sound like a wise old soul to me!
    It’s lovely & sound advice we can all benefit from. Thanks.
    And good luck to Moth.
    Remember – their behavior speaks volumes about them.
    At the very least they are a lesson (for all who hear about it) in how not to treat people ;)

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

that is so ridiculous! Never let these ignoramuses force you out of your break space! no one should have to eat in the restroom :(. This is why I don’t talk about raw with co workers~ at least you’d think whole foods employees would be able to identify! I second the notion that you should speak to your manager. No one should have to put up with harassment like this in the workplace. blessings

• that sucks – I find this happens a lot to anyone who does something not considered “normal” by your average american. I go to a runners board a lot and you wouldn’t believe the crap a lot of runners have to put up with at work too, either about running or eating healthy. People just don’t understand and ridicule it because they are too ignorant. ughh. You kept your cool though, I definitely would have had some choice 4 letter words for them (I have a bad temper lol)

• I am so sorry you had to deal with this, Moth. :( I have never had someone ridicule me that badly, but I am also not 100% raw. Sometimes I just want to scream at people for little things ridiculing my diet. Yesterday at work, I was eating 2 huge apples and some raw pecans for lunch. A co-worker said, in amazement, “is that ALL you’re eating?” I said yes, and that it was plenty of food. She just mumbled something about it being a light lunch. I wanted to scream that my lunch was a million times more nutritious than the microwaved chicken enchiladas she was eating. (I tend to have a short fuse in situations like that.) In your situation, I don’t think I would have been able to keep my cool like you did, so I commend you on that! Sorry I don’t have any advice on how to handle the situation, but I think you did much better than I would have.

• I have this happen to me a lot. No matter what I say it falls on deaf ears! I, like you, feel fantastic! I use to take supplements just to feel this good before a workout! Now I get what my body needs from eating pure RAW food. It is a total shame that everyone who opposes what I do is either unhealthy or overweight. A lot of people think I am crazy or misguided. Many feel that eating RAW is too time-consuming when actually it only takes minutes to chop or throw fruit or vegetables in a food processor or blender! My having good health, elevated moods, improved skin and eyesight should all the more confirm that RAW eating is sensible.