New here and new to raw

Hi, everyone! I’m Erin, 26 years old, live in western NY.

Well, I am here because of my dogs, indirectly (a two-year-old Great Dane, a rescued mastiff and our newest family member, a twelve-week-old Great Dane. Yup, we love our dogs!) They eat a raw diet and have for a while. After seeing all the absolutely astounding changes in the dogs, it got me to thinking what a natural raw diet, eating the way nature intended, etc., would do for me… I know something has got to change as I’m always exhausted, feeling cranky and squishy and bad about the way I look…. I’ve gained so much weight that it’s just awful…eek. I realize it’s no way to live.

So here I am : )

I’m on vacation from work this week (yay!) so I’m really going to be thinking about things and sticking my toes in the water, so to speak. I’m embarrassed to even admit this here, but currently I eat what people would consider probably the worst of the worst SAD foods. So it’s going to be a big change.

Comments

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Welcome halo_effect!
    I believe you will find everyone here very interesting, helpful, and creative.
    I wish you all the best on your journey! :)

• welcome, halo_effect! there are some amazing people on this site who are more than happy to help you with your transition! don’t be afraid to ask questions and best of luck :)

• Welcome halo_effect – Take courage! It can be done and it is SO worth it! I too came from probably the worst SAD diets ever and took the raw plunge almost three years ago and am LOVIN’ it.

There is a TON of wisdom on this board. Explore and enjoy!

• Welcome Erin! I am still a relative newbie but my advice to you is take it slow and listen to your body. It is a big change! I started with the book “Green for Life” and for me it made the transition really easy and helped me lose some weight in the process! This site has tons of info and really knowldgeable people that will happily answer your questions. Good luck!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Hi – love your intro! It made me laugh (please don’t be offended!) the way you described things. I hope this site helps you a lot – if it helps you even half as much as it helps me, you’re in a good place!

• Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I’m really excited because I was messing around online (yay for vacation, ha ha) and found out a local farmer’s market just opened a store that’s about 2 blocks from my house. I know it will be easier to stick to if there’s close and cheap sources of food. Think I’ll head over there today…

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Welcome to Gone Raw, Erin. I’ve found this to be a very friendly community with much wisdom. I’m fairly new to raw (about 9 months). From my brief experience I would make two suggestions. First, take it slow and keep it simple. Eating raw doesn’t necessarily mean spending hours (or a lot of money) on fancy dishes. I started with a fruit or green smoothie for breakfast every morning, using my cheap blender. Then slowly added more raw to my meals. Second, since you live so close to the farmer’s market buy in small quantities (maybe 2 or 3 days worth of fresh produce at a time). I have thrown away far too much food because I over purchased and then didn’t eat things before they spoiled. My local grocery (which I pass on my way home from school) has a decent produce section, and I now buy for 1 or 2 days at a time, with virtually no waste. Makes my checkbook much happier. Best of luck to you!