Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Natural "Medicine"

I am a high school senior looking into colleges, and although I’ll probably go to one school for my undergraduate studies, I feel that I need to at least have some idea of where I will go to graduate school. Thus…

Does anyone know of graduate schools that have studies of natural medicine? I have been trying to find one that seems respected and reputable, but I have not yet found any.

I suppose an alternative would be that I just do a specialization in natural health or something.

Thank you! Peace

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

While doing a similar search, I found these schools:

Bastyr University

Bridgeport University

But, I have not been to either. I’m curious. What is your goal in pursuing studies of natural medicine?

• For the past 4 years or so, I’ve just become more and more interested in natural health and more and more disgusted with conventional medical practices. One goal is to promote a raw vegan diet and prove its efficacy. Maybe someday I’ll write in a journal of medicine!

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Bastyr University in Seattle (Kenmore), WA Southwest Naturopathic Institute in Phoenix, AZ Southwest Institute of Healing Arts in Tempe, AZ

all of these are very reputable

• Hi That would be so great Sara! I know of a couple colleges where you can design your own major. One is in Sarasota Florida- and it’s pretty hard to get into. (Thus reputable) It’s called “New College.” The other is Goddard College in Vermont. It is a beautiful safe campus. Cheap housing- beautiful little town. Let us know what you decide! It sounds so exciting to be on the right track while you are so young!

• Thank you so much for the names of these colleges! I will start to research them right away.

writeeternity, designing my own major sounds very interesting. Any idea of what it would entail?

• My sister went to NC in Sarasota…basically you have an adviser, and together you write up a series of contracts (everything is pass/fail, there are no grades) and it is your responsibility to make sure your end of the contract is fulfilled each semester (through coursework, papers, etc). Each student completes a monthlong independent study project each year, as well. Their website is www.ncf.edu, you can read up about more specific program details on that website.

Its an amazing school. Do go if you have the opportunity. Good luck to you!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Design your own major? Sounds intersting! Are these kinds of colleges accredited? By which accrediting organization(s)?

• Yeah they have great reputations. You have to have excelled in highschool, you need personal recommendations, and decent test scores. You have to show that you are able to work on your own. It’s really cool because the future is created by ideas which aren’t in a regular curriculum and it seems like a lot of brilliant people study more on their own than the average student who needs structure and motivation. A lot of great business people didn’t have a business degree as well- so there is a lot to say about a persons natural talents and working to develop those.

• The most recognized and most recommended school for natural health is: University of Natural Health http://www.unh-edu.org/

I checked into some of the others and they basically teach the same stuff the regular medical universities teach but using herbs and alternative therapies (which are basically the same as pharmaceuticals but are not processed or have patents). They all seem to miss the big picture. Health can never be gained by masking symptoms – the body has the only ability to heal and it will not be able to do it’s job unless given the opportunity.

• Socal, university of natural health sounds WAY too good to be true. Do you know anybody who is taking classes there? I’m really excited because that would allow me to work and go to school full time AND do it from anywhere in the world.

• I know that David Klein has a PhD from them. He is the one who helped me heal Ulcerative Colitis.