Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

embarrassing question for women

hi, well, probably a guy could answer my question just as well so i dont mind, im just embarassed!

well basically i have an issue about a smell that wont go away. I’ve been raw for probably 1 1/2 yrs now. About 5 months ago I took a trip outside the country. I was more raw over there than i have ever been in my life, eating only fresh picked tropical fruits for a few weeks. While I was on my trip I noticed a certain smell coming out “downtown” that i hadn’t had before. Before the trip, especially after having gone raw, there was pretty much no smell coming out of me or if any it was a good one. I figured it was detox. Near the end of my trip I picked up a bad virus, the smell had started a week before i even got sick, but when i got sick thats when it was coming out the strongest, and for the next couple weeks that i was getting over the sickness too. So back home and I’ve been pretty good about being raw since then, but the smell wont go away! I figured it would just be cleansed out with time but its been about 5 months and although it has diminished, its still there. I’m really sorry if this is inappropriate, but my according to my bf it used to smell young and healthy, and now is more like dead fish.

I’m mostly concerned about, what does that mean? What is in my body that is making me smell this way? Do I just smell different now and thats that?

I remember on my trip that it was really dehydrated down there, and i figured that was a reason too. it wasn’t as like, flushing out, so to speak, as it usually is, it was like dry. I figured it was like that because i was so active everyday. would that cause some kind of infection?

what is it supposed to smell like?

what do I do?

Comments

• Have you been to a gynecologist? It sounds like you may have some kind of infection, I would see the doctor first to see if you could rule that out.

• Don’t stress. It’s probably just a bacterial infection, sounds like bacterial vaginosis. You really should have had it checked out sooner, but I would go as soon as possible. If you can’t get to see a gyno just go to a regular doctor.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

I agree… first step is to rule out any infections with the help of a doctor. After that, post here again and we could think of other possible reasons (disruption of flora, dehyrdation, etc)

• Spiritulina- I agree, you should go see a doctor if you have any concern which you obviously do. On the other hand I have experienced when I use soap “downtown” to clean I end up smelling like crazy. I use only water and wash well because really it is a “self cleaning oven” and if you try to clean it to well it will do all sorts of funny things to try to get it’s natural state back. I’m sure to a lot of people that sounds nasty to not use soap but in all the reading I have done and talking to doctors they all say that is perfectly fine and for me it takes away all smell. I have told my mom and sister that and they no longer have any smell either.

• right i guess the thing is to see the doctor (although knowing myself i probably try to heal it myself first). I guess I wasn’t sure if it was really bad because i hear about women smelling like dead fish all the time, it was just never me. Kinda like how its “normal” for everyone’s body odor or poo to stink right, but like not always for raw foodists right?

thanks so much for the comments i think that makes a lot of sense that it would be a bacteria infection that i somewhat got over but not completely. it wouldn’t be something like inside my body thats coming out through there right? no, i dont think so… yea that makes a lot of sense especially that it appeared after i was totally dry in there for like over a week or maybe longer which i never experienced before (anyone know why that happens?)

so what kinda thing helps with a bacterial infection? should i shove tea tree oil in there or something? drink lots of herbal teas? which herbs or which foods are good? or is it better to fast?

so glad i have an idea of what im addressing now! a million thanks!

• oh also, is bacterial infection and yeast infection the same thing? or would they be treated in different ways?

• Bacterial vaginosis and yeast are two different strains. Candida, which causes yeast infection is a fungus, and the bacteria which causes bacterial vaginosis are different. Thank you for the courage to post about this. It’s good that there are people here to get advice from. I do not know about natural remedies for this experience. When it happened to me 9 yrs. ago, I took antibiotics. All that I know regarding natural remedies is that yogurt spread onto a sanitary napkin and worn relieves the symptoms of yeast infection…don’t know about a cure for both. Although I did read something about using wheat grass as a douche in the book “Nutritional or Natural Remedies” can’t remember what it’s called. I’ll look it up.

• I could take grapefruit seed extract (don’t know if it is raw). I gave it to my daughter when she had itching down there. She was 5 and I gave her 5 drops of the liquid daily.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

If it’s not causing you discomfort, I wouldn’t be too worried, and I definitely second the suggestion of the grapefruit seed extract—it’s great for all types of infection. If you’re using the liquid, DO NOT use it directly on your skin, especially sensitive areas. I would just take it orally (I prefer the vegicaps). I don’t think I’ve had this particular problem, but for other problems (like if I feel as though a yeast infection is coming on) generally I take at least twice what the package recommends, but do this at your own risk. Pau d’arco tea is also effective at fighting various infections if you want to attack the problem from multiple angles.

I would suggest diluting tea tree oil if you decide to use it. I’m wildly sensitive to it and break out in a rash that takes weeks to heal if I get so much as a drop on me, but some people swear by it. (Didn’t mean to scare you, just sharing.)

Also, keep in mind that some foods, like asparagus, onions, and garlic, can affect bodily smells.

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I may have watched too much Discovery Channel, but from what you describe…trip out of the country, tropical area, bad virus, dryness…it sounds like some kinda parasitic infection, or a bacterial infection as others said. Did you go swimming at all? Alot of parasites and bacteria can enter your body from the water.

I would definitely see a gynecologist. If you can get one that’s into complimentary medicine, all the better, but go either way. I’ve always been big into women’s health, and I do know that a foul vaginal smell, especially one that suddenly changed, is sign that something isn’t right. Don’t put anything up there! Not without the guide of some manner of health professional. It could end up being something as simple as an easily curable yeast infection of some sort…but I would see the doc regardless, and make sure you let them know about your trip, the whens and wheres and such, what you did, where you swam/slept/sat, what you ate/drank, so they can take into account bacteria and parasite species from the region.

• First off, don’t ever be embarrassed of who you are or what issues you need to talk about! :)

Second, I would NOT eat raw garlic or onions. Even if I chop them and make cooked food for my boyfriend, wash my hands right after, I can smell the stuff excreting later on…..

• I had something similar happen several years ago. I went to the gyno and found out I had BV. I was given a round of antibiotics. I am allergic to most antibiotics, I get rashes and blow up like a balloon. So I went the opposite route and went to the health food store and found the best probiotic they had and started taking it once in the morning on an empty stomach and sometimes once at night. It went away within two weeks and my flora returned to normal, Yeah! (I believe the one I bought was Ultimate Flora in the refrigerated section. They have one specifically designed for the female reproductive system and it is enteric coated so it breaks down in your intestines where it is needed. I runs about $35 for 30. I bit pricey but worth it.) Good luck.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Sounds like you just picked up a little infection. Go see your doctor to find out. Like superfood says, dont be embarrassed about this sort of thing! best to get the problem sorted then no problem. On a funny note: I have a gay friend who likes it when his partner eats cinnamon sweets because it “comes” out in certain fluids!

• I found vag. suppositories of probiotics as a Candida cure in my local regular chain pharmacy. I thought I might have a bacterial infection from my first round with my Diva Cup. They worked, and subsequent use the Diva Cup have proven non-problematic. I saved a trip to the Dr. and probably a prescription that would have taken a while to recover from (side effects). It doesn’t matter if you have Candida or a bacterial infection. As long as it is mild, a probiotic might handle it. I personally thought it was worth $10 to try and it was. I wanted topical as compared with oral probiotics because I wanted relief FAST!

• I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was about 7 months into raw. I kept asking people “whats that horrible smell” until I realized it was me! Yikes! Mine went away in a couple of weeks, but came back years later only to last a few days. I did not have any discomfort, just increased mucus ellimination from my nether regions. I don’t think it is an infection, unless it has discomfort associated with it. Everyone has different places where they cleanse from more throughly than others. I think that yours is a cleansing reaction. My advice would be to direct the cleansing else where so you don’t smell so much. The best way would be through sweat. Try running, a hot yoga class, trampoline, jump rope or go out dancing all night! Also lubricating with coconut oil helps a lot because it has anti fungal properties. It will pass… don’t worry.

• I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was about 7 months into raw. I kept asking people “whats that horrible smell” until I realized it was me! Yikes! Mine went away in a couple of weeks, but came back years later only to last a few days. I did not have any discomfort, just increased mucus ellimination from my nether regions. I don’t think it is an infection, unless it has discomfort associated with it. Everyone has different places where they cleanse from more throughly than others. I think that yours is a cleansing reaction. My advice would be to direct the cleansing else where so you don’t smell so much. The best way would be through sweat. Try running, a hot yoga class, trampoline, jump rope or go out dancing all night! Also lubricating with coconut oil helps a lot because it has anti fungal properties. It will pass… don’t worry.