peanut butter? ground groats?

Hi, all

I'm a newbie so please excuse me if this question has been covered already. Would peanut butter freshly made, say in the health food store, be considered raw? Also can you use groats (with a liquid)in the Vitamix without soaking?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hi there.

i can’t read the last part of your question due to some crazy layout problem… but i think you’re asking if oat groats are raw? to my knowledge the groats are. i’ve never been able to find them. buckwheat groats are abounding at my health food store. to see how i use them to make a porridge just clink on my avatar.

as for peanut butter. it’s certainly better than skippy’s, but usually peanuts are roasted. almond butter is a good sub and you can make it at home in your food processor. (or buy many of the very expensive “certified” raw ones like artisana).

good luck!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Peanut butter is not raw, and the “raw peanuts” at healthfood stores aren’t raw. You can, though, buy raw wild jungle peanut butter from Sunfood, but I’ve read that it’s not as good as regular peanut butter. It’s also much better to soak and dehydrate the nuts before grinding into butter. Otherwise it’s just enzymes inhibitor butter.

• Out groats are usually not raw. Because raw ones have extremely short shelf life. But you can probably find raw ones sometimes.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

http://www.alissacohen.com sells really raw oats.