Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dr. Cow Cheese

My Dr. Cow raw vegan cheese cam in the mail today and it is the most amazing thing I’ve ever tasted! I bought the hard aged cashew cheese because that was all I could get and it tastes just like sharp cheddar or parmesan, I swear. Dr. Cow is a raw vegan cheese company that sells nut cheeses that are aged for 3 months in cultures. They also have a soft cream cheese. Has anyone tried Dr. Cow? Experiences? I want to try the macadamia one when I can get a chance. I can’t believe I hadn’t found this before. Now, when my macadamia nuts and cashews come in the mail on Thursday, I will begin to age my own nut cheeses. I will try for 3 months and see what happens.

Comments

• jeshuabrownjeshuabrown Raw Newbie

Sounds yummy! Did you accept the risk of non cold shipping? Or can you really afford to pay $12 for cheese?!!

• I just went to their website. When I click “shop” it only allows you to select different granolas. Did you buy directly from their website? I would LOVE to try the cream cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I paid the $12 once to see what it was like. I bought it at www.veganstore.com. Just search cheese and scroll till you see Dr. Cow Cashew Aged Cheese. I ordered two wheels, and I though they would be large but they were as big as a sample cup. But, as a one time thing it was very cheap. I think you can email info@dr-cow.com and he will ship you individual wheels, and of course it is cheaper if you buy multiple wheels (which I would only do as an occasional thing). I want to try to make it myself so it’s not so expensive.

I tried to make a pecan cheese which turned out amazing. I used pecans soaked overnight, blended smooth with little water and 10 capsules of acidophilous. Then you wrap it it cheesecloth and place in a bowl overnight, and salt it in the morning! It tasted similr to Dr cow but not so good and sharp.

I would try contacting the dr cow guy and see if he will ship you individual wheels/containers. As a one time thing 2nd day shipping costs are tolerable.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Dr. Cows site is really cute: http://www.dr-cow.com/products/

Some interesting sounding cheeses. But I can totally do this myself. My bf and I have been doing aged raw cheezes for many years. He even taught a class on it many years ago.

It makes sense that letting the cheese age for 3 months you would get a thicker and more “real” cheese taste. That is how dairy cheese gets its tang.

I have made a few sharp cheddars by accident. Once I made homemade tahini and I forgot about it. Well, it sat in the frig for like a month and yes it had some fuzz on it when I went to look at it which I removed and I mixed up it and I swear it tasted like sharp cheddar cheese.

The same thing happened with my French Onion Dip. I made some about 3 weeks ago and because I had been sick I wasn’t eating much. I went in to check on it and Wow was it GOOD – I swear, it tasted just like the Deans crappy stuff you can buy at the store. It really bought back memories of potatoe chips and dips from my childhood. It tastes really good fresh too but it tasted even better aged.

Also you can make your aged cheeses out of lots of other nuts than just cashews as a base but those are probably the best for white cheeses like cheddars.

I showed the site to my bf and I told him “See you should have done this years ago – YOU could have been Dr. Cow!” :) There goes his business idea. I told him someone would take it if he waited to long. :)

• Mmmm, sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing all your wonderful findings with us RawKidChef!

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Wow, queenfluff and RawKidChef, some great ideas for cheeses, yum! Please post some of those! I always was a big cheese eater as a German, but actually dont miss it too much… there are so many wonderful ways to do similar things with nuts and seeds, I love it! I will certainly check out this website, thanks for posting :)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

This cheese must be good. I have never even tried it but I had a dream about it last night.

• queenfluff-could you expand on how exactly to age cheese properly? Also, maybe you bf could write an e-book on it. I’d buy it!

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

omg, yeah iv looked at that website before. mmmmmmm, the ‘cheeses’ look SO good!!!

Do you know if they ship internationally? (i.e France or UK?) I’v sent them an email, but they havnt replyed yet. (: Thanks!

Plus, is acidophilus (the thing they put in the cheese to help it ferment) the same thing as probiotics?

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

I’ve tried this. It was decent, but I found it way too salty and every time I ate it, I started sweating for some reason. I paid $15 for 1 aged cashew cheese, and it came in the mail in this huge box, and I was so excited. I searched through the box, which was filled with tissue papaer, and there, at the way bottom was a small container smaller than my fist of the stupid cheese. $15 for a few bites??? To me, it is so not worth it. Too expensive, and not thaaat great. Save your money and make your own.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Alissa Cohen also has cultured cheeses available now, that come in pint sizes.

She has a ‘Boursin’ type macadamia nut cheese that I am dying to try; as Boursin was one of my last things to give up before I went raw. Apparently you can’t tell the difference between the two.

queenfluff, wow, that’s really cool! I am going to try to make my first homemade aged nut cheese. I will start out with macadamias and cashews because those make the best cheeses.

You’re right queenfluff, you can use all kinds of nuts! I have made a pecan cheese that turned out amazing and now I will try almond cheese. I think macadamias would make the best, though, because they have so much more fat than even a cashew. I’d better go check out that French Onion dip! Thanks!

I am going to post a recipe for a hard aged cheese. Of course, it will take a few months, though, because of the aging! I’ll try aging it for just a month because I couldn’t wait 3 months. So, in order to keep up, every week I’d have to make a huge wheel of cheese to keep up with it!

Zaphirah, it says that it is aged the way milk cheese is traditionally aged. I still have research to do on that issue too.

ajchanter, yes, acidophilus is a type of probiotic and the most standard.

Rawsiki, I agree I could do better on it. I was surprised by the size too. So tiny. That’s why I’m going to age it myself :)

Another thing I found out somewhere is that the nuts need to be truly raw in order to produce good cheese. I can’t wait to see the result! I’ll keep you posted! My nuts should arrive Thursday and I will start making cheese immediately.

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Thanks RawKidChef!

Does anyone know if the company Dr-Cow ships internationally? (ie France or Uk?)

Thanks!

/

Wow MOTH – looks like they have ice cream too. It looks amazing! So does the cheese! Thanks for posting that.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

No problemo – I really want to order some boursin cheese from Alissa for the Holidays. I’m not joking when I say I was addicted to the dairy Boursin cheese – I could eat a container of it in one sitting. Then I pretty much went raw the next day, LOL. I don’t miss it that much as I am happy being RAW, but damn, being able to experience that taste/texture again and still stay raw sounds like a dream come true.

I’ve actually never even tried Boursbin cheese before. Is it like spreadable cheddar cheese? Or are we talking more like cottage cheese? I agree it is a dream come true.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Rawiski – Haha! Your post was so funny. I had a feeling the cheezes were very small. :) Yeah, it is definately more economical to make your own. You would be surprised at the different flavors you can come up with.

We don’t have an e-book but my bf did have a handout. I still have it. There are basic steps to doing it no matter what nuts you use. I will ask my bf first if it is OK if I post it up on my website and than you guys can read the link.

It really isn’t too complex. Although, you sometimes will end up with ‘cheezes gone bad’ sometimes. I have had some that i have thrown out because they just stank up the place (which normally they will btw – but that doesn’t mean your cheeze is bad).

The directions are similar to my recipe for the Brazil nut cheeze although you can do it without the miso. The Miso can help with different tastes though. My bf has kept some cheeze “cultures” for almost a year (which sort of makes me cringe but he says they are OK). But we haven’t aged ours for 3 months yet. Normally a few weeks – it depends on the taste you want.

MOTH – i have heard some really good reviews of Alissa’s cheese too. People are saying it is really good on rawfoodtalk.com.

I noticed they are selling the Dr.Cow at Rainbo here in San Fran if I go there soon I might see if they have some and try it out – just curious to see what it is like. Apparently the guy who makes the Dr. Cow has like a Phd in microbiology so yeah, he definatley knows what he is doing. :)

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

How do you age your own cheese? Do you leave it in the fridge? Cause I tried to leave it out for a couple days (in a container) but it got moldy. Are you supposed to place it in a container in the fridge? Or a cheesecloth in the fridge? Or a cheesecloth out of the fridge?

Gasp! queenfluff, you’re in San Francisco? I’m dying to go there! That’s the raw vegan spot, man!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Has anyone made a cheese by wrapping the “loose” “cheese” mixture in cheesecloth and then weighing it down so the moisture is pressed out? This is a technique shown here http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Paneer-(Indian-Cheese) that is done with dairy cheese that makes them a drier/harder cheese (the whey gets squeezed out leaving the solids behind).

• oh queenfluff-that would be great. With a family of 6 Dr Cow is a pipe dream. LOL! I searched the internet and couldn’t find a single site on making aged nut cheese.

Me, too, Zaphirah. I am going to google how raw milk cheese is aged, because that is the closest thing.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

Can any give a more detailed explanation of how to make an age nut cheese? sounds good but since I live in Israel I doubt I could have dr.cow delivered to me.

I made some macadamia milk this morning and had a big bowl of it leftover. I ut two caps of acidophilous powder and stirred that in the bowl of milk, and left it in the fridge. 6 hours later, some cheesy stuff separated to the top!It was foamy and almost like cottage cheese, so I scooped off the top and ate it with Himalayan salt, wow that was some seriously good stuff! Only took 6 hours.

Queenfluff, I have a freshly made jar of sprouted and dehydrated almond butter that is fresh in my fridge, and I will leave it to cheese for a month like you did. The only thing I added was a few caps of acidophilous powder. I really need to go look at that French Onion Dip now! :)

Also, queenfluff, I checked out your Sour Cream recipe and the comments on it. Saw your comment that said David Wolfe’s cashews spoiled your sour cream. Well, I would soak them overnight (or even for a few hours) and they would already taste spoiled. I now buy Real Raw Food raw cashews and this does not happen to me. In case you don’t know it’s www.realrawfood.com They always soak perfectly, are truly raw, and make really good raw cheeses.

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

RKC- is your acidophilous vegan and raw? if so what brand is it?

hannahmarie, all or most acidophilus is vegan, and it is obviously raw because it needs to be raw to work. Any probiotic supplement, labeled raw or not, is always raw and rich in enzymes because if it weren’t it wouldn’t have any effect. You can buy any brand at a health store or vitamin stores like the Vitamin Shoppe. You can tell it’s raw because it cultures the nuts really well.

How do you make the milk rawkidchef?

Blend one part soaked macadamia nuts with four parts water and strain out the pulp.

thanks ill try that, my mother have some acidophilous ill steal some and try making a cheese, I’ll let you know how it goes :).

Haha I’m looking forward to hear :)