Kidney Beans and oats

I know that red kidney beans are toxic if they are not soaked, but I assume that once they have been soaked for the required number of hours it is ok to eat them raw as I have always eaten them cooked before?

Also, when one soaks oats, how long is it safe to keep them, once they have been soaked for the 8-10 hours before eating?

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi there alabasterdragon, Most oats are steamed even groats, heating them/cooking them stops the bugs from eating them and preserves them. You can buy specifically really raw oats from websites like alissa cohen’s.

If you don’t mind that then I think overnight soaking does the trick.

Not many raw fooders eat legumes, never heard of anyone eating kidney beans raw. I can’t imagine that they would taste good, they’d be really bitter. What were you going to make with them? Perhaps we can help you to devise a tasty raw alternative?

• Ive heard that larger beans are very tough to digest, even when soaked. you may be better off cooking them (gasp, i know) or finding another alternative. But i believe raw food is about digestion, so give your body what it can handle.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Yep, oats in the grocery store are heated to extend shelf-life just as nuts are. alissacohen.com definitely is a reliable source though. I would keep them around 3-5 days in the fridge after you soak them (always store them in the fridge in water though)

I don’t eat legumes but I have read just the opposite, that kidney beans are actually toxic when soaked/sprouted. I can’t remember though, because I think they are toxic when raw/not soaked too. I’d see if something pops up on google.

• Ive decided from what you all said that I wont try to eat kidney beans raw.. if I eat them, Ill eat them cooked.