Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Lavender Oil

I wanted to start using Lavender oil for my acne since it has antibacterial properties and therefore helps fight Propionibacterium (always present on the skin surface).

Questions: Are all lavender oils steam distilled? or do some come cold pressed? Are they raw and if not does it even matter for killing bacterium? I’m assuming it doesn’t matter.

I actually use conventional topical medicine for my acne (it sucks) but necessary and I do not have a lotion for my face yet (it does get dry from the medication) and thought I would use Lavender Oil since it also is good for acne.

Comments

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

I have always had bad skin, acne. It tends to clears up when I eat better (raw 80% or more)

How long have you been raw? What are you eating? If you have acne it could be detox or a new allergy. Personally, I have sensitive skin and break out at the mention of irritation. I will probably get a zit just from typing this kidding

Lavender oil, whether raw or steam distilled, will be better than any commercial product you might be using.

My advice, what is working for me, is to stop using all soap, lotions, shampoo etc, just washing with water until your skin balances itself and your acne clears up. Then if you need it, just use coconut oil for light moisturizing.

You probably won’t need much coco oil if you have naturally oily skin like me. A 15oz jar is my only cosmetic and last for months.

Keep your hair off of your face and change your pillow cases often.

Beauty is only skin deep, but zits are a pain in the face :)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Many herbs used for medicinal purposes are prepared using heat. No reason to worry or think you can’t use them because they are not raw. Essential oils are made with heat.

• Hey there. Though I have been using mostly raw and lots of green smoothies to clear my acne I thought I would give you this info as well.

I get infused oils and tinctures from a great farm in Maine called Blessed Maine Herbs. The website is

http://blessedmaineherbs.com

I emailed Gail this afternoon to ask about the level of heat in tinctures and infusions and this is reply I got from her:

Kellie, The tinctures are not heated at all. Some of our oils were exposed to low heat for several hours during the 6 week or longer extraction process. That’s the extent of it…have fun learning about lavender and its many uses and benefits…one of my all time favorite healers…I look forward to working together! Blessings, Gail

I think I may try the lavendar oil for spot treatment too! I love all thr products I get from Gail and the wisdom of the ages she shares with anyone who wants to learn.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i use tom’s of maine toothpaste on spots. it dries them up really quickly, but not like chemical products where your skin flakes.

i’ve also used lavendar oil. i prefer the toothpaste.

• JDJD

Thanks for all the responses. While being raw does help my skin to an extent…I totally need the harsh stuff. I’m glad to hear people have used lavander and now I feel comfortable giving it a try. I’m hoping I can use that in place of my BenzaClin during the day and then just stick to my Retin-A at night. I know, I know eek but necessary.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

pundee-I had bad skin before going raw and after being raw for a couple months it improved. So I stopped using my face wash and just used water. That worked well and I continued to use my moisturizer. Then I switched it out for coconut oil and my skin is soft and much much clearer. I break out hormonally still and I’m working on keeping my raw intake high enough to prevent that(at least 90%).

So I guess my advice is to stop using the commercial chemicals. Believe me, there was great improvement.

• I don’t really have any advice to offer.. but I have severe cystic acne all over my entire face. I’ve had it for 9 years now. People ask me all the time.. what happened to your face? Or are you having an allergic reaction? I’m covered in deepset indented scars that look like huge holes in my face. It has completely destroyed my self esteem and confidence. I don’t even remember what it’s like to have clear skin.

I’ve tried EVERYTHING. I went raw 4 months ago in one last effort to get rid of this disease. For some strange reason.. it worsened!! I didn’t even think that was possible. Does anyone have any insight regarding that? I’m so sorry to infiltrate your thread pundee.. but I feel so hopeless right now. I have now started taking medication for it, which might help. I’ve just about given up though.

• Have you check out www.juicefeasting.com

I have read several articles on how it aids the skin and clears up acne. Some people claim scars are healed.

I have been wanting to do a juice feast for the last couple of months. I was thinking late winter or early spring would be the ideal time to do a 35 day juice feast.

In regards to lavender oil…I love the stuff!!! I have not used it on my acne though. I use it mainly in baths, laundry, and cleaning around the house.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

bronwyn! You sound so sad it breaks my heart. I definitely understand the feeling. I started getting acne when I was seventeen and have struggled trying EVERYTHING with nothing working even remotely until I found new medication that sort of kept it under control but not very well. Then I went raw and it improved sooo much. I know my Dad struggled with the same thing as you and just as severe. He’s one of the most wonderful people in the world it’s so easy to see past his painful scars. I can see you’re a wonderful person because of everything you’ve written on here and you shouldn’t have to worry about self esteem. I think you’re just great.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

bronwyn—that makes TOTAL sense. here’s why: you were detoxing through your skin. when you went raw you sped that process up because your cells were releasing even more gas than usual, with still the same inefficient “escape” routes (three elimination organs= colon, skin, lungs). what happens when you release all the dam water but it’s still a closed system… auto-intoxication. your toxins aren’t going anywhere, so you’re seeing even more breakouts. i too have this problem off and on.

a girl who had SEVERE exczema since birth went on a 100 day juice feast, doing colonics VERY FREQUENTLY. so, not only are you ridding your cells of toxins/gas, but the toxins have somewhere to go: OUT!

i’m on the newsletter from the colon hydrotherapy place that she was getting her colonics from. they showed before and after pictures and it was like that girl’s back in “The Craft.” Night and day.

100 days seems really hard, but it sounds like you may be interested in at least consulting a colon hydrotherapist to see what they recommend.