Greetings from NH

Well, here I am. I’ve been thinking, off and on for a number of years, of trying a raw food diet. I’m 36 and have been a beer drinking carnivore for all of my adult life. My diet has mostly consisted of meat and fish for the past 20 years with very little in the way of vegetables or fruit. Despite this, and the fact I weigh 305 pounds, my health is in surprisingly good health with no blood pressure or cholesterol issues. My biggest health issues is gout and poor cardio due to my weight and inactivity for most of my life. I joined a gym last week and figured it was also time to start thinking of a new way to eat. Today was my first full day of raw.

I have a fairly decent blender to start with, although it is no Vita-Mix, and I also have an older Jack Lalanne juicer that will work for now. I do want to find a dehydrator soon though as I’ve been browsing a lot of bread recipes and want to try some as I wasn’t too happy with the limited sprouted bread selection at my local health food stores.

My meals for this first day were:

Smoothie with 2 Apples, a Banana, Cinnamon, and a big spoonful of Hemp Protein w/ Fiber.

Two small slices of Sprouted Multi-Grain bread with a little bit of Organic Peanut Butter (not truly raw but it is organic and a big change for me already coming from Skippy) :-)

French Onion Soup from a recipe here on Gone Raw.

We will see how tomorrow goes but I am doing fine thus far.

Comments

• Sounds great! I’m going on week 3 for Raw. The first week was transitioning, but mainly raw, then this past week I have done really well. Although I did have a couple of beers this weekend… Not so good, but that’s all. And honestly I didn’t need the beers and I wasn’t craving them. So next time I might just say no all together.

Good luck!

• Welcome Tobit!

I’m up in Maine, and I’ve been raw for about 10 weeks. Great so far, but the transition can be a little rough, so I think the dehydrator is a great idea because you’ll find you can do more with it than without it, and it really helped me to stay raw that first month.

My advice is to keep it as simple as possible and just focus on eating raw foods you love. And keep fresh fruit on hand to help when you have cravings for something cooked.

There are some cheap dehydrators at Bed Bath & Beyond right now if you are looking to experiment with raw and don’t want to break the bank.

Anyway, congratulations on the decision to try it out! I’ve really enjoyed it, and seen tons of mental and physical benefits from it.

Good to meet another New England raw foodie! -WW

• Oh, and I should mention that at 10 weeks raw, my wieght is almost back to what it was when I was 18! I had gained 20 lbs and then had a baby (another 40 lbs) and even after losing the baby weight I just couldn’t get that 20 lbs off even on a vegan diet and going to yoga, etc. So, I went raw and POOF! And I’m not hungry, either. I eat all the time, but who ever got fat eating raw fruits & veggies? Nobody, that’s who. So, I think what happens on Raw is your body just finds its healthy weight and settles there. The lack of flour and sugar also helps mentally. Good stuff. Glad you’re giving it a try. You’ll probably start to lose 2 pounds a week without any extra effort, and it will just continue until you reach your healthy weight.

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I’m a fellow NH (seacoast area) guy. About 10-12 weeks raw transitioning myself. I am about 95% raw right now. 95% vegan. Using boiled eggs as a transition food while getting things figured out. I have lost over 30 pounds in those 10-12 weeks. I was about 320 when I went raw (which was already down from over 350 from just cutting out all processed foods except whole grain breads).

Be happy you are finding this before the health issues started. It took a health crisis for me to get here.

Welcome to goneraw.